[SOLVED] PC shuts down whenever I use my GPU

Christian_63

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016
Whenever I use anything that demands GPU usage, my PC shuts down. Sometimes it shuts down instantly (when its a heavy game) sometimes it takes more time (when GPU usage is like 20%).

This issue started when I bought a new MOBO (B550 MAG TOMAHAWK), however, I was suspecting something was going wrong with my PSU (my M.2 and HDD sometimes did not work, they doesn't appear in BIOS, like they didn't even exist), but it was somehow rare and I didn't have any issues with my GPU before.
As soon as I changed my MOBO, my computer did not turned on right away, I had to press the power bottom multiple times until it finally turned on and when I finally installed my new Windows 10 and went to a gameplay, my computer shuts down.

So, GPU, MOBO or PSU with problem? How can I test which component is failling, since I have no others components to replace atm? Temperatures are fine, btw.

Ryzen 7 3800x
AMD Sapphire RX 5700 XT
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT, 32 GB (4X8), 3200MHz

B550 MAG Tomahawk (old MOBO used to be B450 ASUS Plus-gaming)
SSD Crucial P1, 1TB, M.2 NVMe + HD Western Digital 1TB
Soundcard Creative Blaster Audigy Fx

CX750 80 Plus Bronze

Solution
New Windows 10 install. I thought about installing it again, but there is no erros before my system shuts down (no bluescreen or whatsoever).

New Windows 10 install using the latest Windows 10 and not an old 3+ years old version?

Yeah a shutdown or restart like that is normally a power issue or overheating.

I will point my finger at the PSU first and if it's not that it's probably the GPU.

You said your CPU and GPU doesn't overheat so it's not overheat.

Christian_63

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016
Hi Christian.
  • PSU
  • CPU or GPU overheating. CPU and GPU temp at idle and load?
Temperatures are fine. I was running a benchmark and stressed my CPU multiple times and my computer never shutdown. However, as soon I start any GPU benchmark, my PC instantly shuts down. Temperatures when my PC shutsdown never passed 55ºC (there is no time to overheat, it instatly shutsdown lol).

Btw, no chance my MOBO have any kind of issue, since it used to not happen with my old MOBO? idk.

New Windows 10 install. I thought about installing it again, but there is no erros before my system shuts down (no bluescreen or whatsoever).

New Windows 10 install using the latest Windows 10 and not an old 3+ years old version?

I will point my finger at the PSU first and if it's not that it's probably the GPU.

Solution

Christian_63

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016

Latest Windows 10, downloaded directly from Microsoft. So it may confirms what I was thinking... some issue with my PSU (which is the oldest hardware in my setup - 3 ~4 years). I'll try to reinstall my windows anyway, since I have nothing to lose.

Christian_63

Reputable
Jun 13, 2016
Do the 8 pin connectors connected to the card both come from the same cable connected to the psu?
A lot of people have used two separate cables 1 8 pin connection from each cable connected to the psu and fixed similar problems.

Try that.
I tried to do that but I was unsuccessful. It keeps shutting down whenever my GPU is on load. I'll buy a new PSU, as all evidence points to the PSU.

Last edited: