Question PC shutting down at 95c

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Hi all,

I recently upgraded my system (MSI X470 Pro Carbon, latest BIOS) from a 2600x to a 5800x, along with an AIO (GameMax Ice Chill 240)

My PC temps in BIOS rise to 95c within a few minutes and the system powers off. I've checked the mounting, even RMA'd one AIO but the issue persists. I'm using MX6 paste.

I can't figure out why this is happening. Could it be a faulty CPU?

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
Extremely unlikely but there is a plastic cover on the bottom of the metal surface of the cooler some pple forget to remove it.

Or maybe try your old cooler to rule out a faulty cpu

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
i am assuming the same thing i dont think the pump is plugged in

That would be incredibly odd (and the fact that there's a SATA header belies that notion, plus the description on their site implies that PWM connection is for fans only).

One easy way to tell if it makes sense: can you find a wire that goes between the fans and the pump? It won't be through the liquid tubing.

And the fact is, the behavior suggests a pump that isn't running.

i am assuming the same thing i dont think the pump is plugged in

Okay, my bad. 🤦‍♂️just spent a couple hours taking things apart. So there was another 3pin connecter at the end of the cable down where the ARGB is and I completely mistook it for a VDG connector and cable tied it up, as the other 2 ARGB cables have VDG's on them.

Was not clear in the instructions or any of the videos I watched, but otherwise completely my fault. I'm new to AIOs but I should have known better.

Problem solved! Now maxing out at 50c in bios. Not great but not bad, it's a lot quieter that's for sure.

Thanks for all the help anyway!

At least you figured it out. And that's not bad. I think my 5900x stays around 72 or so under full load of cinebench r23. As long as you aren't throttling that's the thing. The 5800x should serve you well for a couple of years or so anyway. I have a 6700xt but I may upgrade my gpu one more time before doing a platform update.

shottyjotty

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
At least you figured it out. And that's not bad. I think my 5900x stays around 72 or so under full load of cinebench r23. As long as you aren't throttling that's the thing. The 5800x should serve you well for a couple of years or so anyway. I have a 6700xt but I may upgrade my gpu one more time before doing a platform update.

I'm running with a 5700xt. Didnt realise I was being bottlenecks a lot by my CPU. Getting way better frame rates now.

It's my only upgrade before I get an AM5 board, probably when the next chipset comes out. I'm happy with the performance I've got for now.

Many thanks again.