[SOLVED] PC shutting down when on high load

rkacarkacic1

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
Hi everybody!

I have problem with my PC, and I can’t determine why that is happening.
Sometime, not every time, when I’m playing RS6 siege and Quake Champions (everything maxed out), my PC turns off and then turns on itself.
I tried troubleshooting it, but I still don’t know why that’s happening.
I think that maybe power supply is too weak, or motherboard is potato.

This is my specification:
CPU: i9 10900F
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090
RAM: KINGSTON HyperX FURY RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B460M-K
PSU: ROG-STRIX-750G 750W
Case: Fractal Torrent with ARGB fans
AIO: Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE LCD Display (I’m using push pull, so I have in total 7x140mm vents and 2x180mm)

Regarding the processor, I changed some settings in BIOS so now it can draw 220w of power instead of 65W.
Prior RTX 3090 I had RTX 3070 with same processor and settings I didn’t have any problems with PC shutting down.
For RAM, XMP is enabled.

I tried running FurMark on couple of maximum resolutions, and I was running it for 1hr, with temps of 68C and nothing happen.
I tried running CPU stress test (HeavyLoad app) and I was running it for 1hr with CPU temps around 58C, and nothing happened.
But as soon as I run one test (for example CPU), same millisecond I click to run graphic test (and reverse) PC turns off.

Thank you for help in advance!

Video link: https://streamable.com/d726lq

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
750W PSU is too weak for RTX 3090, when factoring in GPU transient power spikes. 1kW PSU would be preferred for RTX 3090.

What are GPU transient power spikes? A video to watch:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

So, get your hands on a good quality 1kW (1000W) PSU, like Seasonic PRIME or Corsair HX/HXi/AX/AXi and look if your issues go away.

Solution

sonofjesse

Distinguished
No-one, in their right mind, would buy an used PSU.

@Aeacus

I have purchased and sold several.

My friends have zero worries, when I say hey I have a PS that is 650 watts, I just upgraded to 850 do you want to buy it? Never had any issues.

I have also purchased them used off FACEBOOK never had an issue. Been running them for years now.

So I guess I'm not in my right mind or my friends HAHAHA

I think your intention was that their is RISK on buying used parts, and some people will avoid that risk and always purchase new. However their are lot of others who will take a little more risk to save some coin.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
@Aeacus

I have purchased and sold several.

My friends have zero worries, when I say hey I have a PS that is 650 watts, I just upgraded to 850 do you want to buy it? Never had any issues.

I have also purchased them used off FACEBOOK never had an issue. Been running them for years now.

So I guess I'm not in my right mind or my friends HAHAHA

I think your intention was that their is RISK on buying used parts, and some people will avoid that risk and always purchase new. However their are lot of others who will take a little more risk to save some coin.

And there are people who drive drunk, never had an accident and come and preach that it's safe to drive drunk. Yeah... i don't think so.

Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC. And with used PSU, there's 0 telling what kind of abuse it has seen or if it even works within the specs of ATX PSU standard. Nor does any used PSU come with a warranty.

You want to save a few bucks? Sure, go ahead and buy used PSU. But when used PSU blows up, fries everything it is connected to, then what? :unsure: Saving 20-50 bucks on used PSU now, is worth forking out hundreads/thousands afterwards, when you have to replace your entire PC?

Reactions: sonofjesse

TRENDING THREADS