Question PC shutting down while gamimg

Jul 23, 2019
I am having issues with my computer shutting down (no restart) out of nowhere while gaming.

The issue arose initially while playing World of Warcraft and continued with Overwatch, each time it suddenly shutting down after ~15 min, having to unplug my PSU and plug it back in before restarting.

I've been playing all these games for years with no problem, as all of my components are a year old +, so I haven't changed anything recently and I clean my rig somewhat regularly.

Running memtest for 24+ hours I received 0 errors for my RAM, I also tested with the same parameters (Overwatch) individually taking each stick of RAM out to the same result. I never saw my CPU temp go above 54°c, and never got any temp notifications for my GPU either. I'm truly unsure of what the issue is as my PSU should be sufficient for my rig as far as I know, and it is only 1.5 years old.

I'm assuming I'll need to replace my PSU from research and that may be the answer (I don't have a spare PSU to troubleshoot with) but I would love any advice from you smart people before I have to drop any cash. Any help would be greatly appreciated

My setup:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8350FRHKBOX

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4993-KR 6GB SC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+

Mobo: ASUS M5A97 EVO

PSU: Corsair TX850M

Storage: Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500GB PRO(with my Windowns 7x64 Premium OS)
WD Blue 2TB HDD 5400 RPM, SATA6

10GB of RAM (rather old, and can't find make or model, 2x4GB and 1x2GB sticks)

Jul 27, 2019
I am having issues with my computer shutting down (no restart) out of nowhere while gaming.

The issue arose initially while playing World of Warcraft and continued with Overwatch, each time it suddenly shutting down after ~15 min, having to unplug my PSU and plug it back in before restarting.

I've been playing all these games for years with no problem, as all of my components are a year old +, so I haven't changed anything recently and I clean my rig somewhat regularly.

Running memtest for 24+ hours I received 0 errors for my RAM, I also tested with the same parameters (Overwatch) individually taking each stick of RAM out to the same result. I never saw my CPU temp go above 54°c, and never got any temp notifications for my GPU either. I'm truly unsure of what the issue is as my PSU should be sufficient for my rig as far as I know, and it is only 1.5 years old.

I'm assuming I'll need to replace my PSU from research and that may be the answer (I don't have a spare PSU to troubleshoot with) but I would love any advice from you smart people before I have to drop any cash. Any help would be greatly appreciated

My setup:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W FD8350FRHKBOX

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4993-KR 6GB SC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+

Mobo: ASUS M5A97 EVO

PSU: Corsair TX850M

Storage: Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500GB PRO(with my Windowns 7x64 Premium OS)
WD Blue 2TB HDD 5400 RPM, SATA6

10GB of RAM (rather old, and can't find make or model, 2x4GB and 1x2GB sticks)
sorry for being unable to contribute properly as i dont really know as it just seems like a psu fault, do you not have any warranty? but i could suggest simply updating to windows 10 as its a more stable and efficient OS and older ones can cause problems but its very rare, sorry for not being a big help.

Reactions: Etatum
Shutting down after a while smells of a thermal issue.

What is your idle temperature?
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Much more and perhaps your cooler has come dislodged a bit.

If you take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards, does that help?

If you think your problem is the psu, buy a replacement from a shop with a good return policy.
Keep the box and parts in case you should need to return it.
Expect a 15% restocking charge.

Jul 23, 2019
sorry for being unable to contribute properly as i dont really know as it just seems like a psu fault, do you not have any warranty? but i could suggest simply updating to windows 10 as its a more stable and efficient OS and older ones can cause problems but its very rare, sorry for not being a big help.
Thanks for your help! I appreciate the answer and those rare cases are actually what I'm looking for because I hadn't even thought of my OS

Jul 23, 2019
Shutting down after a while smells of a thermal issue.

What is your idle temperature?
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Much more and perhaps your cooler has come dislodged a bit.

If you take the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards, does that help?

If you think your problem is the psu, buy a replacement from a shop with a good return policy.
Keep the box and parts in case you should need to return it.
Expect a 15% restocking charge.
Idle is looking to be about 16-17c when just turning pc on, logging in and leaving for about 20 minutes
Unfortunately that isn't doing much, since the second turn on I've had the covers off letting it breathe and the fan didn't change anything either

That's a good idea, and honestly what I'll probably end up doing if I don't find another solution soon

What is your ambient temperature?
16-17c. does not sound like a correct temperature unless you are in a frigid room of7c(44f)
What are you using to measure?
Try some other apps like hwmonitor which will give you not only the current temperature of each core but the min and max also.
The throttle point for a FX-8350 is around 60c.
Are you overclocking or using some sort of a bios performance option?
That will greatly increase your temperatures.

When a cpu throttles, it will slow down until the temperature gets back under control.
I suspect it is the motherboard that is having a hard time with voltage regulators heating up.

I would not spend a bunch on speculation for fixing a FX system.
It is close to obsolete.
Upgrading a psu or other part that can be moved to a new build like a psu is ok.

mrtech9

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
Same thing happening to me, I bought a new PSU and problem still occurs, just gray screen appears and I must hard restart my PC. Go try in CMD (as administrator) : sfc /scannow or "DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH" , also update Windows... Also try running pc without that 2gb ram stick.

Jul 23, 2019
16-17c. does not sound like a correct temperature unless you are in a frigid room of7c(44f)
Try some other apps like hwmonitor which will give you not only the current temperature of each core but the min and max also.

When a cpu throttles, it will slow down until the temperature gets back under control.
I suspect it is the motherboard that is having a hard time with voltage regulators heating up.

It is close to obsolete.
Upgrading a psu or other part that can be moved to a new build like a psu is ok.
My home is about 22c (72f) usually and I'd be lying if I said I knew what my usual idle temps were before this issue as I don't have to keep an eye on things usually.
I do not, and don't believe have ever OC'd this CPU nor do I use a high-performance option in BIOS in boot-up, just the middle-of-the-road option.
I am glad you said something about the Mobo because that has actually been in the back of my mind for a bit, as it's a good bit older.
I apologize for missing some lingo but what do you mean by "FX system"? Is that relating to the motherboard?
Yeah that's why PSU is likely my go-to to purchase, but it just seemed wrong that I would need to since my 850 seems plenty proficient.

It is close to obsolete.
My home is about 22c (72f) usually and I'd be lying if I said I knew what my usual idle temps were before this issue as I don't have to keep an eye on things usually.
But even trying with HWMonitor my current value during idle is staying 15-17c and topping out about 28 with chrome open (with min 12c and max 50c)
I do not, and don't believe have ever OC'd this CPU nor do I use a high-performance option in BIOS in boot-up, just the middle-of-the-road option.
I am glad you said something about the Mobo because that has actually been in the back of my mind for a bit, as it's a good bit older.
I apologize for missing some lingo but what do you mean by "FX system"? Is that relating to the motherboard?
Yeah that's why PSU is likely my go-to to purchase, but it just seemed wrong that I would need to since my 850w seems proficient.

There is no way your idle temperature can ever be below your room temperature.
Perhaps HWmonitor is not reading your system properly.
Try some other temperature measurement.
The reason I ask about idle is because if your temperatures at idle are out of line, it tells me that your cooler is not mounted well or is malfunctioning.

Whatever the measurement, it would seem that the temperature rise from 12c to 50c. represents a 38c. rise
If you apply to a likely known room temperature of 22c, that gets you to 60c. which is the throttle point of the FX processors like your FX-8350.

What is the make/model of your cpu cooler?
I suggest you remove your cooler, clean and and remount it.
Clean off the old paste and reapply new.
Pay particular attention to getting the cooler on level.

Jul 23, 2019
Same thing happening to me, I bought a new PSU and problem still occurs, just gray screen appears and I must hard restart my PC. Go try in CMD (as administrator) : sfc /scannow or "DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH" , also update Windows... Also try running pc without that 2gb ram stick.
Thank you for looking in to this, but unfortunately none of these quite got it for me

Jul 23, 2019
Yeah I'm not sure, Core Temp is giving me the same numbers. Possibly a problem with whatever initially registers my CPU temp? I'm not completely sure of the intricacies of course.

That makes sense, I'm honestly not 100% sure but I believe it's an AMD, model a52a-cbc (I believe quite literally the oldest, most low-end part of my PC but the fan still runs well).

I attempted this removal and cleaning off paste and trying to make sure I get it flat with even pressure twice with no results.

Jul 23, 2019
So after much trial and error including

• Switching out new PSU (Corsair 750)
  • Resetting BIOS
  • Uninstalling, updating, rolling back GPU drivers
  • Cleaning and reapplying TIM to both GPU and CPU heatsinks
  • Updating Win7, and then installing Win10
With no results, I switched my GPU out with my old 560 ti (only hooking up my old 59hz monitor due to hardware/cable differences), and that worked for a very long time without ever shutting itself down.

I read somewhere that an issue could ominously be caused by having dual-monitor setup, with one being 59hz and the other being 60hz.

Deciding to put my 980 ti back in with only one monitor (just my 60hz), that worked for quite a few hours until I turned it off. I turned right around and plugged both monitors in, turned my rig on and it shut down within 5 minutes of playing.

Now, my PC won't turn on with my 980 in it at all, regardless of monitor situation. It will turn on without a GPU, and with my 560 in it.

I can only conclude that this is my GPU and will have to replace.