Distinguished
Nov 19, 2015
My PC Specs are as follows
-Intel Core i5 750 2.67 GHz
-8 GB Ram
-Windows 7 Ultimate
-Geforce GTX 950
-Segate 1TB hard disk drive
There are times where my PC boots slowly and sometimes not at all. But thankfully, this only happens occasionally and when I restart my PC, it seems to work out so far. But I want to know what's going on with my PC and what causes this slow boot.

I've also noticed that this often happens during the rainy season and not so much when it's hot and dry in our place. Added info, I live in a tropical area and the side of my CPU's open.

I've cleaned the PC's parts and wires as well as their connectors but the problem seems to persist.
If you guys have any knowledge on this issue, please help out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Solution

I wasn't referring to the CPU but to the HDD, meaning, hard drive. However, 15~32 ish is perfectly normal. The source of a slow boot rarely points to a PSU, CPU, GPU, motherboard or memory. Most of the time it would be the HDD if it would be hardware problem.

• ■ It could be a software problem. Windows tends to clog up over time (Linux user myself). Registry cleaning and other tricks to my experience don't make it better either. The best way, when it would be Windows being slow, would...
https://www.glarysoft.com/
I recommend you this.
there are few tools that will help:
1. cleanup HDD
2. defrag HDD
3. cleanup REGESTRY
4. defrag regestry
5. cleanup start apps
check how much it did help.
if you're still not satisfied, best bet will be going for small boot ssd.

Jul 24, 2018
You are saying that sometimes it might not boot at all. This seems like the HDD might be at the end of its life. Is this a Barracuda drive? I've had many of these, mainly older models, and these tend to give their life up relatively quickly. Had similar experiences with Samsungs Spinpoints. Newer models are far more reliable.

That said, when you boot into Windows, check Task Manager and check the graph. If the HDD is occupied for a crazy number while idle (on tasks that shouldn't take that much) then you know something is wrong.

messatsou

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2015

How crazy are we talking about? My CPU usage graph goes about 15~32 at times when I'm idling and even when I'm in Chrome

Then by not booting, I just mean really slow booting at rare times as of recent, as in it takes a while to get to the desktop, but it gets there eventually.Then when I restart it, it boots back at normal speeds.

Then this usually happens during rainy days and the slow boot rarely to never happens when things are dry.

Jul 24, 2018

I wasn't referring to the CPU but to the HDD, meaning, hard drive. However, 15~32 ish is perfectly normal. The source of a slow boot rarely points to a PSU, CPU, GPU, motherboard or memory. Most of the time it would be the HDD if it would be hardware problem.

• ■ It could be a software problem. Windows tends to clog up over time (Linux user myself). Registry cleaning and other tricks to my experience don't make it better either. The best way, when it would be Windows being slow, would be to run a clean install. Save this as a last resort though... I always think a reinstall of OS is a nasty job :) Every 2 years should be a good rule of thumb here.
    ■ Do you see enough resources free in task manager? Memory, HDD, CPU(well obviously so by your reply...)
    ■ Is there actually a swap partition? -- I'm guessing everything is standard, meaning yes in that case.
    ■ Is there enough space left free on the Windows disk? A good rule of thumb would be 5GB~10GB. When your memory is full, Windows will make a swap file. This is a file on the hard drive that Windows uses as a "Memory stick". As you can imagine, this could also be the source of a slow pc/slow boot. Meaning like in the bullet above, is there enough memory free or does it fill up quickly? You have 8GB, that should be plenty. I'm just trying to rule out.
Then there is your second point. My only thing here that comes to mind would be thermal throttling. How hot does your computer get when you use it? If you haven't cleaned the dust out in a while then it might be time and a worthwhile try. Get some canned air or use a compressor to clean it out. When you are close to fans hold them down so they cannot spin, this way you don't stress the fans. Be sure to dust out the PSU, CPU cooling block and places where dust easily accumulates. It doesn't take long to clean out a PC thoroughly.

Hope some of these tips work. Otherwise come back with some info on the resources and thermal performance of the computer. The more info you provide, the better tips you will receive.

Also, what kind of PSU are you running?

Solution

messatsou

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2015

Thanks for your suggestions and I'll most probably try out cleaning it more properly as well as checking my parts if they're still in good condition.

As for my PSU, I don't really know how to identify it, but I've a 600 W True rated PSU currently.