[SOLVED] PC sometimes failing to boot up & SSD boot drive is scanning and repairing every boot up

codemilly

Commendable
Jun 28, 2021
I'm confused. I think both of my drives are failing and my boot drive (SSD) is still 98% health but the HDD is 30% health (the PC is 7 years old now I think).
My issue right now is that my PC sometimes fails to boot up (the GPU was running but the rest won't.) so I had to powercycle for like 2-3 times for it to Boot Up. And when it does boot up, "Scanning and Repairing drive C:" appears but it doesn't seem to resolve any.

Sometimes, the LAN port doesn't even work and I have to powercycle again for it to work.

I've also noticed that when I open a specific folder, the icons took like 3s before it appeared.
unknown.png

I've backed-up my personal files in the cloud already just in case.

Questions:
1.) What happens if I click "Repair Drive"?
2.) Should I reformat and buy new SSDs instead? (m.2 for boot and SATA SSD for storage)?
3.) Let's say I chose #2, will my Win10 license activate if I log-in to my Microsoft Account?

SPECS:

CPU: Core i5 4690k Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120v (push-pull fans)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
Ram: 16gb(2x8) Kingston HyperX ddr3 1600mhz
GPU: Asus Strix 1070 oc O8G
PSU: Silverstone Stryder 750W Gold (Fully Modular)
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda HD 1TB
Case: Cooler master masterbox 5

Solution
For a Z97 motherboard, don't sorry about buying a "M.2" drive for the OS.

1. M.2 is just the format...how it plugs in. They can be either NVMe or SATA III.
  2. If you're referring to an M.2 NVMe drive, know that many Z97 boards can't boot from that, and the M.2 port will NOT give full performance to a Gen 3 x44 drive.
  3. Reinstallation of the OS on a new drive will not incur any licensing problems.

USAFRet

Titan
For a Z97 motherboard, don't sorry about buying a "M.2" drive for the OS.

1. M.2 is just the format...how it plugs in. They can be either NVMe or SATA III.
  2. If you're referring to an M.2 NVMe drive, know that many Z97 boards can't boot from that, and the M.2 port will NOT give full performance to a Gen 3 x44 drive.
  3. Reinstallation of the OS on a new drive will not incur any licensing problems.

Solution
reading about boot seems to be a hit or miss for booting
but it looks like the M.2 slot is disabled by default and is in the "Onboard Devices Configuration" section

That second drive is bad for sure.

For SSD's its normal for HDSentinal to show a lower %. That is due to the normal wear an tear on the SSD and its TBW value for that SSD. 98% is not an issue there. There could be another issue with the SSD or maybe that SATA port is going bad?

Reactions: codemilly

codemilly

Commendable
Jun 28, 2021
reading about boot seems to be a hit or miss for booting
but it looks like the M.2 slot is disabled by default and is in the "Onboard Devices Configuration" section

That second drive is bad for sure.

For SSD's its normal for HDSentinal to show a lower %. That is due to the normal wear an tear on the SSD and its TBW value for that SSD. 98% is not an issue there. There could be another issue with the SSD or maybe that SATA port is going bad?

I'll try cleaning up the PC tomorrow and connect-reconnect the cables. But I'm really worried why every time I boot up, it always prompts to Scan and Repair my SSD for some reason. It doesn't take a while and goes to the homescreen immediately. It didn't happen before.

MI9kSK.jpg

I'll try cleaning up the PC tomorrow and connect-reconnect the cables. But I'm really worried why every time I boot up, it always prompts to Scan and Repair my SSD for some reason. It doesn't take a while and goes to the homescreen immediately. It didn't happen before.

MI9kSK.jpg

Yea if it is scanning everytime then something is happening to the file system or the drive during use or during shutdown. Only once in my life have i come across a bad SATA cable. it is usually the connector on the drive or motherboard end that gets busted.