PC still detects my old gtx 1060 instead of my new 1070

Nov 8, 2018
Hello, my Nvidia gtx 1060 died last week. So I bought a new gtx 1070. I installed it properly, wiped out the old driver via ddu and uninstalled the old gpu in the device manager. But my pc still tells me I'm running a gtx 1060. GeForce experience tells me the same and even gpu-z tells me I'm running a 1060 (@ 8gb which is the value of the 1070). Bios is detecting a card in my PCIe slot. Any ideas how to fix it?

Solution
have you tried the card in someone else's computer ?
where did you acquire the video card if a store I would return it for exchange obvious bios confused there 1060 do not come with 8GB of ram.
got a picture of the actual video card you got ? how about the packaging ?

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

First, download GPU-Z to see the specs of the GPU. See if it shows Gtx 1070.
Second, to solve the issue of 1060 being detected, download DDU and clean uninstall the GPU driver. Then install the newer driver. This should fix the issue.

Nov 8, 2018

The card comes from a shop. It's obviously the right card since it tells me it has 8gb ram and it was factory new and unboxed. I think it's a software thing. If it would be a 1060 turbo which looks the same it wouldn't tell me that if has 8 gb of ram. I'll try reinstalling the OS any time soon and inform you guys about the results. I myself think it will fully fix the issue but I hoped for a quicker and easier way to get it done

Nov 8, 2018
You were right. I checked the stickers on it and noticed they were a little loose. I assume it really was a fake card. I. Can't believe it. I returned it 5 minutes ago and ordered a new one.. Thanks everyone for helping.

Jwpanz

Honorable

It's not too hard to shrink wrap a box! Did you get your money back at least?

Nov 8, 2018

I recognized that a 1070 would've had an 8 pin and mine had a 6 pin connector so I'm totally confirm that it was fake. I ordered it at Otto.de one of the biggest companies you can find in Germany. So yes Im sure I got scammed and I will get my money back.

Nov 8, 2018

I think so too. I guess that's a pretty smart thing to do if you're a poor and criminal mastermind :D