[SOLVED] Pc stopped displaying on monitor or TV and keyboard no longer connecting.

8shaky1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Tearing my hair out today trying to understand what’s happened with my pc and would love for someone to help me!

So my pc has been working fine and I use it everyday. Today I decided I wanted to play some games on my tv in a different room and unplugged everything (safely) and moved the computer to my lounge. I connected the pc to the tv using a hdmi cable but couldn’t get a signal on the tv. I thought this was weird as I have gotten it to work before doing nothing differently so did some Googling. People suggested it could be a ram issue but eventually I gave up and moved the pc back to its usual spot.

I plugged it back in as usual using the normal VGI connector to my monitor but now it was not displaying here either. I figured it must be related to the ram so I decided to take my ram out and give it a clean. In the process I noticed that the USB3.0 cable had slipped out so I plugged this back in.

I booted up again and this time, no display again and also, my keyboard is not lighting up now so it seems this is not connecting either.

I have tried giving the whole pc a clean to no avail.

the pc turns on when I press the power button as all the lights on the motherboard, gpu and fans turn on as usual.

I’ve now spent my whole day on this and my computer now works worse than when I started!

full pc specs (roughly 9 months old)
  • CAS: Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 Mid-Tower Gaming Case
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 6-Core 3.60GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo - 32MB L3 Cache Processor, Pro OC Compatible (No On-board Graphics)
  • CS_FAN: 4x 120mm Cyberpower Addressable Dual Light Loop RGB 1350RPM Fans with Remote Control
  • EXPAN: Built-in USB Ports
  • FAN: AMD Ryzen Wraith CPU Cooler
  • HDD: 1TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive (1 Drive)
  • HOLIDAY1: BullGuard Internet Security 2018 for Windows PC with Game Booster! - 1 year - 3 User Licence [+0]
  • M2SSD: 500GB (1x500GB) WD Blue SN550 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD - 2400MB/s Read & 1750MB/s Write (Single Drive)
  • MEMORY: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3000mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat Spreader)
  • MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX: M-ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, SATA3, 1x M.2
  • NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs
  • OS: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition) Perfect for most people with all the core features of Windows 10 including: automatic updates, Cortana and DirectX 12 graphics support (No Recovery Media)
  • POWERSUPPLY: InWin A55 550W 80+ Certified Gaming Power Supply
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD AUDIO
  • USB1: Built-in USB Ports [+0]
  • VIDEO: ASUS GeForce® RTX 2060 6GB - DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DP - 4 Monitor Support (Single
if anyone can offer any explanation or help it would be much appreciated!

thanks,
- Jake

Last edited:
Solution
In the image I noted two immediate things:

1) The thermal paste does not appear to have been correctly applied. Looks too thick. What brand thermal paste was applied and how was it applied?

2) Far more serious is the "hole" just above the letter "m" in the "msi" logo. It appears to me that the cooler was somehow ripped out. Based on your description, the cooler may not have been properly/correctly installed to begin with.

Note the electrical traces leading up to and "around" the hole. Some are broken. Those traces carry electrical signals so motherboard components can be powered and communicate with each other.

The other mounting holes appear to have suffered damage and it it very likely that some other, unseen damage...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Are you able to get into BIOS?

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

Have you tried integrated Graphics (if supported)?

8shaky1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Are you able to get into BIOS?

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

Have you tried integrated Graphics (if supported)?

Hi! I have updated the post as requested.
Do I not need to connect to a display to access the BIOS? Or safe mode?

also I’m not sure what you mean about integrated graphics. Could you elaborate?

Ralston18

Titan
If there is some Windows issue causing the problem then you should be able to get into BIOS barring some physical display problem with the GPU, the video cable and/or display.

Safe mode is similar but allows Windows to boot with a minimal configuration - thus if some driver is the problem Windows will boot but the system will not be fully functional until the applicable videodriver is reinstalled. E.g., the system could boot with minimal display resolution settings.

Integrated Graphics means that you can remove the GPU and used the graphics ports built into the motherboard provided that the installed CPU supports doing so.

Your motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX appears to support integrated graphics.

https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/mb/global/B450M-PRO-VDH-MAX.pdf

However the installed CPU does not:

"CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 6-Core 3.60GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo - 32MB L3 Cache Processor, Pro OC Compatible (No On-board Graphics) "

Do double check that I correctly identified Motherboard and CPU specs.

8shaky1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
If there is some Windows issue causing the problem then you should be able to get into BIOS barring some physical display problem with the GPU, the video cable and/or display.

Safe mode is similar but allows Windows to boot with a minimal configuration - thus if some driver is the problem Windows will boot but the system will not be fully functional until the applicable videodriver is reinstalled. E.g., the system could boot with minimal display resolution settings.

Integrated Graphics means that you can remove the GPU and used the graphics ports built into the motherboard provided that the installed CPU supports doing so.

Your motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX appears to support integrated graphics.

https://storage-asset.msi.com/datasheet/mb/global/B450M-PRO-VDH-MAX.pdf

However the installed CPU does not:

"CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 6-Core 3.60GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo - 32MB L3 Cache Processor, Pro OC Compatible (No On-board Graphics) "

Do double check that I correctly identified Motherboard and CPU specs.
Hi again,

I have tried your suggestions but cannot acces the BIOS or boot in safe mode. I’ve also tried connecting the vga using all the ports in my computer and tried differing wires.

I have since noticed however that the EZ debug lights are now shining on my motherboard. The CPU light and RAM stay on when I turn the pc on.
Not sure if this helps? I’m not sure why the pc would have randomly stopped detecting ram unless it could be to do with the CPU perhaps?

8shaky1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
https://ibb.co/xgT9mhN

Another update!

Since the easy debug light was on for the cpu, I decided to remove the cpu and check if any pins were bent. I have done this and the cpu looked to be in perfect condition. I gave it a small clean removing any dust and re installed it.

Now I have another problem! The CPU fan does not seem to fit into the motherboard. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong because it seemed like it was screwed in when I first removed it but I am thinking it may have just been held in with the thermal paste on the cpu. As you can see from the linked image, the spring screws on the fan not only do they not reach the holes, but the holes themselves are too big for the screws to thread into. Am I going crazy here?

Reactions: Chris-t-mac

Ralston18

Titan
In the image I noted two immediate things:

1) The thermal paste does not appear to have been correctly applied. Looks too thick. What brand thermal paste was applied and how was it applied?

2) Far more serious is the "hole" just above the letter "m" in the "msi" logo. It appears to me that the cooler was somehow ripped out. Based on your description, the cooler may not have been properly/correctly installed to begin with.

Note the electrical traces leading up to and "around" the hole. Some are broken. Those traces carry electrical signals so motherboard components can be powered and communicate with each other.

The other mounting holes appear to have suffered damage and it it very likely that some other, unseen damage has occurred.

Did you originally remove the retention frame per the cooler's installation guide?

This: "the spring screws on the fan not only do they not reach the holes ..."

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-7

Step 1 of the installation. [Do verify that I found the applicable cooler installation guide.] "

I think the motherboard is ruined. Post a couple more photographs - second opinions recommended.

In the meantime - do not attempt any more fixes.

Solution