Question PC stuck in boot loop, can only start by resetting CMOS ?

Dec 5, 2022
Had some trouble with my PC for the past few months where it gets stuck in boot loop (internal fans whirring -not the external fan on the tower though- and shutting down after a second).

Sometimes if I left it going like this it would eventually start up and all would be operating as normal. But once i shut it down and tried to power it on the next day, the same boot loop issue would occur.

Have reseated all of my hardware-to no avail- but once i removed the CMOS battery and powered on it would boot! Only problem is that nothing would display on my monitors-no bios, wouldnt recognise the HDMI signal from my graphics card DP-, so I tried the on-board Display Port, but still nothing on my monitors.

Is this a case of an out of date motherboard? be happy to hear any ideas from anyone!

Dec 5, 2022
FULL hardware specifications including exact model numbers for CPU, motherboard, power supply, memory kit (or kits), graphics card, CPU cooler and storage devices?
CPU: i7-4790k LGA 1150
Motherboard: Z97-Pro (Wi-Fi ac)
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 G2
RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 (4)
GPU: ZOTAC GTX GEFORCE 1660
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Storage: SSD Crucial Mx100 256gb(OS), HDD Seagate ST1000DX001 1TB

when it restart do you have the real date and time of the day on screen .
unfortunately my monitor doesnt display anything upon a restart!

I'd try a new CMOS battery first. That board is definitely old enough to have one that is weak by now. CR2032 are a few bucks at most stores that carry a good selection of batteries.

I'd also disconnect ALL storage devices from both SATA data and power cables, to see if one of them is causing the problem.

Dec 5, 2022
I'd try a new CMOS battery first. That board is definitely old enough to have one that is weak by now. CR2032 are a few bucks at most stores that carry a good selection of batteries.

I'd also disconnect ALL storage devices from both SATA data and power cables, to see if one of them is causing the problem.

I've replaced the old CMOS battery and disconnected the storage devices.

Manages to start, but nothing on the monitor and motherboard is showing a 55 error, which I assume is RAM issue? I've reseated the RAM multiple times already

Dec 5, 2022
I've replaced the old CMOS battery and disconnected the storage devices.

Manages to start, but nothing on the monitor and motherboard is showing a 55 error, which I assume is RAM issue? I've reseated the RAM multiple times already
update! tried with only 2 of the 4 RAM slots filled and started okay multiple times, reconnected the storage devices and got to bios. restarted once more and reseated all 4 RAM slots and back to boot loop, tried again with only 2, but boot loop again...

Will reset CMOS once more with 2 RAM slots and report my findings!

You have TWO separate TWO DIMM memory kits? Same or different models?

Are you using the SAME TWO DIMMs that came in just one kit or do you have them all mixed up? Check the labels that identify the revision or production run and make sure you are using the correct two DIMMs together, and that they are installed in the A2 and B2 slots. Then when trying the other two, if this is not a single four DIMM kit that all came together, that you use the other two in the remaining two slots.

Dec 5, 2022
You have TWO separate TWO DIMM memory kits? Same or different models?

Are you using the SAME TWO DIMMs that came in just one kit or do you have them all mixed up? Check the labels that identify the revision or production run and make sure you are using the correct two DIMMs together, and that they are installed in the A2 and B2 slots. Then when trying the other two, if this is not a single four DIMM kit that all came together, that you use the other two in the remaining two slots.
I have 2 kits I bought with the rest of my components and then another 2 later on. Can see on the versions of these RAM kits that 2 are labelled v8.15 and the other 2 have versions of 5.11 and 7.21

I attempted to try many combinations from your advice (first tried a2/b2 with 8.15s) but any combination i tried, resulted in a boot loop and an error of 00 on the motherboard

tysm for the advice so far!

Last edited:
Sorry, wasn't clear enough! They're all the same model, just bought at different times
And here is why THAT usually doesn't work well especially with higher speed memory kits. At low default speeds, like 2133mhz - 2400mhz, not so much of a problem, because the motherboard can generally work with it more easily, but at higher speeds differences become much more pronounced.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-ram-compatibility.3210050/#post-19785792

So the reality is, you actually have THREE different memory kits and it simply doesn't matter that they are all the same "model". In reality, they probably are NOT all the same model if by model we mean "exactly the same configuration" and even in cases where they ARE the exact same configuration, it can still cause problems because the IC's that come off one production run might be fundamentally different characteristically than those used at other times to create the exact same memory kit, even if the same IC's (memory chips) from the same chip manufacturer are used. The only way there is any guarantee of compatibility is when they come together and in some cases I've even seen a rare problem or two then.

TRENDING THREADS