[SOLVED] PC "stutter" after upgrading to Windows 11 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohamed-des

Reputable
Jul 6, 2020
I have a problem for a few months now, it started with me upgrading to Windows 11 developer preview.

when I am using my PC and suddenly it starts to "stutter" I don't know if this is the right word but for a second it becomes slow and heavy?

I monitored the CPU and when this happens CPU went from 2-3% usage to 5-6% usage (while browsing) and from 25% to 29% while gaming
"while writing this it happened twice so I took some screenshots which I don't have now because of some stupid thing I do I will explain late"
but when I took screenshots I noticed not only CPU but also GPU HDD SSD NVME ETHERNET also went 2-4%

I had a friend who used to have the same problem but CPU usage went from 100% to 0% for 2 seconds.

• I thought the problem may be because AMD with Windows 11 have a problem, I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10, still the same problem.
  • I tried resting my BIOS settings to default (which I use only to change fans speed and enable XMP ) the same thing.
  • I thought maybe because the last time I cleaned my PC I did not put enough thermal paste
  • I bought grizzly bear thermal paste and nothing change.
I suspect that it is maybe the Nvme cause why not .. I always thought I bought a damaged one because sometimes do not work from the first boot (but did not face this since a year)
so I switch to a normal SSD 120GB and guess what? still the same problem, and to make things worse I deleted 2TB of data by accident :) that is why I don't have the screenshots.

Edit: I changed every storage I have from GPT to MBR (I changed it to MBR when I installed windows 11)
I tried everything I can think of.
pls if anyone has any Idea help me.

CPU : 3950X
CPU cooling : NH-D15 chromax.black
GPU : 2070 Super EVGA 3377
MB : X570 Unify
RAM : 32GB CL3600
NVME :MP510 480GB
SSD : PLEXTOR 120GB
HDD : 2TB SEAGATE 7200RPM
PC CASE : AeroCool 2x240mm front 1x140mm rare
Temperature: idel 37 - 42c Gaming 45 - 65c

English is not my strongest point so I am sorry.

Last edited:
Solution
I believe we may have a similar problem. I'm still on Windows 10 myself, but have noticed random stutters every now and again. This started when I turned on fTPM in my BIOS. Other people have reported issues with AMD fTPM as well. I think you probably had turned on fTPM before installing Windows 11, right? You said you reset your BIOS; however, some newer BIOS's enable fTPM by default in preparation for Windows 11. This means that if you've updated your BIOS recently, the fTPM problem would persist after a reset.

If you're still on that fresh Windows 10 install, I'd try disabling TPM entirely in your BIOS. I did the same for mine, but it's too soon to tell if it fixed my stutter issue.
D

Deleted member 14196

probably not the psu then. does it happen in Safe Mode? boot to safe mode and see if it does it, if it does not, then it's most likely a driver or some configuration issue in windows

xscrewygirlx

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
I have RM750 watt +80Gold I think it is enough.
Is there anyway to check if it is power supply thing without replacing it?
I tried stressing CPU but all is fine didn't have this problem while testing.

Do you realize your GPU alone requires 650W?

GPU Specs - Click me

And I am not an expert, but your CPU's default TDP is 105W.

CPU Specs - Click me

Correct me if I am mistaken on either of these two links, but that adds up to 755W for the GPU and CPU alone. That doesn't include MB power, Hard Drive power, SSD power, and all the bells and whistles if you have a fancy case.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

GPU Specs - Click me

CPU Specs - Click me

Correct me if I am mistaken on either of these two links, but that adds up to 755W for the GPU and CPU alone. That doesn't include MB power, Hard Drive power, SSD power, and all the bells and whistles if you have a fancy case.
Um just no the GPU requires nothing near 650 watts. It's like a 215 watt TDP card.

What they list is for the total system (that they have absolutely no clue the rest of your PC parts) then they add some more incase you use a cheap PSU.

EDIT They should NEVER list recommended watts since they have no clue if your CPU can draw 225 watts or just 65 watts, they should only list the TDP of the card.

Mohamed-des

Reputable
Jul 6, 2020

GPU Specs - Click me

CPU Specs - Click me

no, it is not a problem, both CPU and GPU can't reach 500W with 100% usage
I suspect it is a software thing I installed fresh windows 10 with main things like chrome discord
and stress test every few hours. I will do this for a few days if nothing happens I will install a new thing every 2 days until fining the problem XD
but if anyone has any Ideas pls share it with me.

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
I believe we may have a similar problem. I'm still on Windows 10 myself, but have noticed random stutters every now and again. This started when I turned on fTPM in my BIOS. Other people have reported issues with AMD fTPM as well. I think you probably had turned on fTPM before installing Windows 11, right? You said you reset your BIOS; however, some newer BIOS's enable fTPM by default in preparation for Windows 11. This means that if you've updated your BIOS recently, the fTPM problem would persist after a reset.

If you're still on that fresh Windows 10 install, I'd try disabling TPM entirely in your BIOS. I did the same for mine, but it's too soon to tell if it fixed my stutter issue.

Reactions: Mohamed-des
Solution

Mohamed-des

Reputable
Jul 6, 2020

I think you probably had turned on fTPM before installing Windows 11, right? YES
You said you reset your BIOS YES
. This means that if you've updated your BIOS recently, the fTPM problem would persist after a reset YES

When I installed Windows 11
The first time I enabled it and then when the problem started I said to myself that maybe it is a BOIS problem and I should update it, which I did. And when I reset all the settings in BIOS, I did not check it because I did not think that it is enabled. So I lost a 2TB of files for a click
I feel stupid and angry :)

This is the only variable that I haven't modified. As you mentioned, I read some threads about this and I think this is the problem, I disabled it now and I hope the problem is solved

I will get back to you after a while with the results.
شكراً لك
thank you.

xscrewygirlx

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
no, it is not a problem, both CPU and GPU can't reach 500W with 100% usage
I suspect it is a software thing I installed fresh windows 10 with main things like chrome discord
and stress test every few hours. I will do this for a few days if nothing happens I will install a new thing every 2 days until fining the problem XD
but if anyone has any Ideas pls share it with me.
Sorry. It's been a very long time since I looked at the inside of a computer. I know that my own system is a beast of a power consumer because of the Graphics Card. I know this because if EITHER ONE of my power cords comes unplugged, I get a system alert that my computer has an undersized adapter. Two power bricks for one laptop seems a bit much, but as I said, it's been years since I built a system. Wasn't sure if power requirements have changed.

I remember building a system once (self-taught), but I only got a 550W power supply. It didn't have enough to support the CPU, and that was a single core. I needed at least 650W for that system, and that was a lot less of a machine (10 years ago). I guess computers are more optimized for power, now? Anyway, I hope you find the issue. Again, sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.