Question PC stuttering/lagging, especially when scrolling or when something happens on my second monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Hello everyone,

My specs:
CPU : Intel Core i9 9900K @ 3.60 GHz
GPU : 8GB Asus GeForce RTX 2080
RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666
Mainboard : Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming
PSU : 700 watt be quiet Pure Power 10
CPU-Cooling : be quiet Silent Loop 240 AIO water cooling
Storage : Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus M.2 (500GB)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO (120GB)
WD Blue WD40 (4000GB)
WD Green WD10 (1000GB)
Case : be quiet Pure Base 600
  1. Screen: Samsung C24FG73 (144hz)
  2. Screen: Samsung S24C450 (60hz)

as the title says i get really weird stuttering on my PC which is noticable when something is moving (e.g. scrolling in the browser, videos etc.)
This stuttering becomes far worse as it already is when something happens on my second monitor (e.g. playing a video or a new discord message in the chat is even enough to cause a short hard stutter).
I am getting really frustrated with this issue and hope somebody can help me fix it. Since i have already tried a lot to fix the issue and already fixed some previous issues with this built i am going to list all the problems i already had and fixed in this build since they might help to determine the cause of my problem.

I built this new PC in May this year. At the beginning I overclocked the CPU to 5 GHz. Everything worked without problems. After a short time though i rarely got a blue screen with the information 'IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL' . At first i thought that this was caused by the overclocking but online people said that these bluescreens with that message were caused by errors with the graphics driver. As my drivers were up to date a friend suggested to update my BIOS since that fixed his bluescreen issues. Well after updating my BIOS to the current version (1105) more problems started to occur. The BIOS update initially worked fine and since the settings are reset after the update i left my CPU at 3.6 GHz. When my PC restarted I couldn't boot because my Windows was installed in legacy mode and not UEFI, which is why I had to turn on CSM first in the BIOS to be able to boot. After i was able to boot my PC started in the total wrong resolution. After a short while it froze completely and i had to shut it down with the power button to reboot. After the reboot it started in the wrong resolution again but after like 20 seconds it set itself to the right resolution (1920x1080) but completely froze again and i had to shut it down with the power button again. On the third time it booted normally without any problems in the right resolution and i could use it without problems. So everytime i wanted to start my PC i had to reboot 3 times until i could use it. At the beginning after the BIOS update my PC also did not immediatelly turn on after pressing the start button, it started -> turned off after like 1 second -> and restarted again like 2 seconds later. This issue fixed itself somehow after a few times of starting the PC. My PC still started in the wrong resolution though so i completely reinstalled windows (this time in UEFI) and deleted everything that was on my drive where windows was installed. This fixed the issue with the wrong resolution but after like 2 weeks of usage I got my current problem: the stuttering. Aftert this stutter occurred I also oveclocked to 5GHz again just for testing and after a few days got a bluescreen again with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL', so I guess the previous bluescreen came from the overclocking, which is why i use 3.6GHz again. I don't know if anything i wrote earlier had anything to do with this issue now but maybe all of these issues can be linked to any damaged hardware in my PC. The stuttering can be especially seen when scrolling in Firefox where the scrolling is just not smooth, in games i don't feel it that much, only when something starts to happen on my second screen i feel the harder stutter also in games. As i have already tried a lot to fix this issue i will just list them all below:

What i have tried and didn't work:
  • reset all settings in BIOS
  • reinstall windows and clearing the whole drive again
  • use a different browser, still stutter when scrolling
  • tried to downgrade my BIOS version but it wouldn't let me
  • using only the main screen
  • using only the second screen
  • using a HDMI cable at 120Hz instead of DP(144Hz) on my main screen (this actually helped with stutter when i move something on my second screen because on DP as soon as a window was visible on both screen the window was really laggy to move around, this doesnt happen when using the HDMI cable)
  • using integrated graphics
  • using Display Driver Uninstaller to completely reinstall the graphics driver
  • using my old GTX980 instead of my RTX2080, still stuttering
I don't really know what else I could do and I am really frustrated right now as I said before. I really hope somebody can help me to fix the issue or at least determine which part of my PC is broken...

Thank you very much in advance

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Try using 59hz, 143hz etc. Also do a memory check on your sticks. Try pulling one stick at a time and try the games see if you have an offending stick, or sticks of ram..
Thank you for your quick reply,
I tried using different refreshrates on my monitor but i don't have the options in my nvidia controlpanel to change them. i can only change it on my main monitor in the monitor menu to 144,120,100 or 60hz. I tried every refreshrate and it is still stuttering.
As suggested i also did a memory check. I put one stick out and still had stuttering, i put one stick back in and the other out and i still have the same stuttering.
I also used 'windows memory diagnostic' to check the ram and no problems were shown.

Thank you for your quick reply,
I tried using different refreshrates on my monitor but i don't have the options in my nvidia controlpanel to change them. i can only change it on my main monitor in the monitor menu to 144,120,100 or 60hz. I tried every refreshrate and it is still stuttering.
As suggested i also did a memory check. I put one stick out and still had stuttering, i put one stick back in and the other out and i still have the same stuttering.
I also used 'windows memory diagnostic' to check the ram and no problems were shown.
http://prntscr.com/p1nswc <--- go to this line in control panel. Then you can go to customize tab and try refresh rates. http://prntscr.com/p1ntib

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
http://prntscr.com/p1nswc <--- go to this line in control panel. Then you can go to customize tab and try refresh rates. http://prntscr.com/p1ntib
Hey thanks again for your reply,
I used the 'customize' button to create a custom resolution with 143hz on my main monitor and one with 59hz for my second monitor but i am still not able to select anymore refreshrates in the nvida control panel as you can see here: View: https://imgur.com/a/XDUdyaC

It seems that the nvidia control panel will only let me choose refreshrates that are set directly in my monitor settings which i can control with a button on my monitor.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Have you tried pulling the cmos battery from the motherboard, while unplugged from wall for a few minutes. Then replace. check your bios to see which one it defaults to. You may or may not have to install a newer bios. Maybe a fresh start will help clear things up.
i haven't tried this yet. Thanks for the idead, I'll try it out this evening once I am at home and report how it turned out.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Have you tried pulling the cmos battery from the motherboard, while unplugged from wall for a few minutes. Then replace. check your bios to see which one it defaults to. You may or may not have to install a newer bios. Maybe a fresh start will help clear things up.
Hello,
I have reset my BIOS with the jumper on my mainboard. According to my Mainboard User Guide this should have the same effect as removing the battery if I am right. It seems that the reset was succesfull since all my BIOS settings were restored to default but i still have the newest BIOS version installed. Sadly this did not fix the stutter issues though.

Ok so go in to your bios and make sure all power saving is disabled under power management. Also go to windows power settings and set it to high performance. See if this helps at all. Also turn down your polling rate on your mouse as low as you can stand it. Try to get it to as close as you can to 125hz.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Ok so go in to your bios and make sure all power saving is disabled under power management. Also go to windows power settings and set it to high performance. See if this helps at all. Also turn down your polling rate on your mouse as low as you can stand it. Try to get it to as close as you can to 125hz.
Alright, I have set my power usage in the BIOS to 'Turbo mode' and in windows i set my power management to high usage. In the Logitech Gaming Software i also set my polling rate to 125hz. But i still see some stuttering.
I also tried again to just use my main monitor without my second monitor and after the CMOS reset i notice that the stuttering is not as bad as it used to be (but still there) and just starts to be really bad when i connect my second monitor and something starts happening/moving/flashing there.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Ok so that we are on same page when in use what does the cpu boost to in ghz?
Right now my CPU boosts to 4.7 Ghz (multiplier x47) if i am just idling on my desktop or if I am playing any games. Bevor i reset my BIOS yesterday this happened as well but after changing some setting in the BIOS it adjusted and constatly changed to e.g. multiplier x8,x27 etc. as needed but never higher than 4.7 Ghz even though i think the targeted boost speed in my BIOS says 5Ghz. Should my CPU constantly stay at the boost speed or should it rather change constantly?

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
OK THAT IS BECAUSE THE WINDOWS POWER SETTING IS FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE SO IT KEEPS IT READY AT A HIGHER STATE SO IT DOSNT HAVE TO SPEED UP TO KEEP UP WITH WHATEVER PROGRAM YOU ARE USING. Try your apps or games at this setting and see how it behaves. Then you can try windows power setting at balanced setting and see how that behaves for you. At least now we have your cpu running at its full potential.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
OK THAT IS BECAUSE THE WINDOWS POWER SETTING IS FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE SO IT KEEPS IT READY AT A HIGHER STATE SO IT DOSNT HAVE TO SPEED UP TO KEEP UP WITH WHATEVER PROGRAM YOU ARE USING. Try your apps or games at this setting and see how it behaves. Then you can try windows power setting at balanced setting and see how that behaves for you. At least now we have your cpu running at its full potential.
I set the power settings to balanced again but it did not change the CPU clocks and my stuttering hasn't got better as well. However for testing i reset my BIOS settings to default settings again turned off 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology' in the BIOS and my CPU now changes clock speeds as needed (ranging from multiplier x8 to x47). Previously 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology' was using 10% of my CPU all the time. Nevertheless my stuttering is still there.
As this was just for testing I am back at the settings you suggested but also with 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology' turned off and now my CPU also changes clock speeds but ranging from multiplier x8 to x50. I think this is how it is supposed to be if i am right? Still not sure what 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology' had to do with this though. My stutter is still the same though: minimal when there is nothing happening on my second screen (e.g. just desktop shown) and as soon as there is even minimal movement (e.g. chat window scrolling up or just flashing taskbar) I get stutter straight out of hell.

Yes now the cpu is working correctly, rapid technology has to do with storage. Can't believe the stuttering is still there now that your cpu is working correctly. So maybe there is a driver conflict. bad driver somewhere. I would suggest going in to device manager, and line by line check the drivers for updates. Tedious I know but you have to rule them out.

Mikerosoft

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Also in cmd prompt do a system file check. sfc /scannow if it finds anything it will try to repair it when you reboot.
So yesterday I tried to play X-Plane 11 and my PC completely froze and I couldn't do anything at all and had to restart it by holding the power button down because even ctrl+alt+del wouldn't do anything. So i reverted back to my CPU now only raging from multipliers of x8 to x47. I also tried 'sfc /scannow' and it said that it found some problems which windows could not repair. After that I used 'DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth' and something got repair. I ran 'sfc /scannow' again and it said no problems were found. I also checked all the drivers for updates in the device manager but only 2 could be updated and neither did fix the stutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.