Question PC Suddenly Freezes - Force Restart Required. Please help!!!

Apr 10, 2020
So it’s been about 2 years since I built my PC and ever since the beginning, I’ve had stability issues with it.

When I’m doing a (fairly) ressource intensive task on my PC, it seems to randomly just freeze, there is an awful screeching sound that comes from my headphones and the only way to “unfreeze it” my screen is to force restart my desktop by holding down the power button.

It used to happen quite uncommonly in the beginning and I just ignored it for the most part but recently is has been happening more and more, to the point that it happens almost every day. It usually happens when gaming. Usually, putting down the graphics quality and resolution can help a lot.
I’ve looked everywhere online and people say that it could be anything from Motherboard issues to the power supply.
I have tried all sorts of stress tests and benchmarks but nothing seems to come up during those.

Cooling is definitely not the problem as temps during gaming can peak at around 70°C for CPU and GPU. I haven’t overclocked anything and even reset my bios in case I had accidentally messed something up.

I thought that the most likely culprit was indeed the power supply since, despite being from a reputable brand, it has some questionable reviews online. So, I ordered a brand new one (with over 200W of headspace above of what my PC would ever need) and installed it.

There were no issues for the first few couple of days, but then it started happening again, with more intensity than ever.
Right now, I’m really lost. I have no idea what to do except to replace the rest of the PC altogether. Please help!!!

specs:
Windows 10 Home
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070
PSU: Corsair RM850x
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
Mobo: GA-Z170XP-SLI
SSD: 1x Samsung Evo 250gb
1x Samsung Evo Plus NVME M.2 1TB
(I’m currently booting from the 250gb SSD)

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020
Hey, I think I have the same issue. Would you mind checking your system event history and looking up what events are happening right before your crashes?

File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ‎1977‎-‎09‎-‎12T17:19:34.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.
File System Filter 'FileCrypt' (10.0, ‎2011‎-‎10‎-‎30T17:56:49.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

These are showing up in my history.