[SOLVED] PC to TV to Soundbar not working (eARC)

Feb 27, 2023
I have tried to connect my PC (strong GPU) via HDMI 2.1 to my LG smart TV (4k@120hz port), and then another HDMI 2.1 connecting my TV (eARC port) to my soundbar (also eARC port).
Unfortunately I do not get any sound coming out of the Soundbar when I want to play it from my PC. The system recognises the TV, but not the soundbar, meaning I do not even get the "Spatial Sound" option for Dolby Atmos (both TV and Soundbar support it) in the sound settings. I do get the option when I connect the soundbar directly to the PC.

Note: the TV settings have been set to audio output PCM with Bitstream audio input (PCM doesnt work here), with all options for eARC being enabled.

I hope someone can help me here, I would truly appreciate it.

That should be the case already no? As when I connect my PC to the soundbar directly I can play content in Dolby Atmos.
I am not too knowledgable in audio technicalities.
ye but PC doesnt support eARC, so it wont see your soundbar behind your TV

PC will output just to what TV supports, that is PCM and some type of bitstream (mostly dolby), in speaker properties you can check which bitstreams are supported on your TV

Feb 27, 2023
ye but PC doesnt support eARC, so it wont see your soundbar behind your TV

PC will output just to what TV supports, that is PCM and some type of bitstream (mostly dolby), in speaker properties you can check which bitstreams are supported on your TV
Ahh alright I understand what you mean!

Would you be so kind to provide instructions on how to solve this, in the format as if you would explain it to a 5 year old.

Ahh alright I understand what you mean!

Would you be so kind to provide instructions on how to solve this, in the format as if you would explain it to a 5 year old.
here is how typical TV audio looks like in windows
oqBcYEJ.png

as you can see it shows max number of channels as 2, which is stereo and no compressed format supported, that means Pc would send audio as PCM stereo (no bitstream)

now if we look at what TV actualy says about itself with edid (display identification data) with 3rd party tool called custom resolution utility, we can see something similar:
b9RUNDM.png

only single audio format supported and thats two channel LPCM...but my TV supports dolby, so why its doesnt tells other that it supports it?

well in my case TV is set to PCM hdmi input, once i switch it to bistream, then it shows more:
slXMZM3.png

and confirmation in speaker properties that windows picks it up:
Yi8mj3F.png

dolby is now there

normal sounds gets still played as PCM stereo, dolby will kick in once you play some dolby content

mine doesnt support atmos, but it should work similary...just that atmos on windows needs dolby atmos for home theater app from ms store

Feb 27, 2023
Feb 27, 2023
when you make changes with cru, you have to use restart64.exe after it

anyway can you show what speaker properties - supported formats (in control panel) shows for your TV? it should be matching to what you setup in CRU
I had to reinstall the audio driver of the TV, then replug the HDMI cable of the TV to the PC. Then it auto installed and now it works!

You are the man! Thank you so much for the help, my neighbours will now officially hate me :D

Reactions: kerberos_20