So I recently built a new pc
Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI gaming plus max
Ram: 2X8 Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz
Graphics card: GTX 960 mini (4gb)
PSU: you Cooler Master(I think) 500w
HDD: Seagate 1tb

My issue is that when I turn it on everything starts up, like all the fans and leds but nothing displays on the monitor.
I’ve checked to make sure all the cables are secure and that the ram and graphics card are in properly.
Ive had a look at the debug lights on the mobo and when I turn it on the cpu led comes on then turns off, then the vga led comes on and goes off, finally the boot led comes on and stays on.

Since the dram led never comes on does that mean there’s an issue with the ram? Or is it because of an issue with the hdd since the boot led stays on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It might also be worth mentioning that by not displaying I mean it doesn’t even get to the bios or anything.

Solution
I’m certain that the monitor is working properly as it will display a laptop screen if I connect it using the same wire and port and I’ve gone through most of the checklist, but I don’t currently have a mobo speaker installed, would this be worth buying and installing for trouble shooting in my case?
You do not need to buy a motherboard speaker, the motherboard has it's own built in speaker. Check page 100 of your motherboard manual.

Troubleshooting:
Before sending the motherboard for RMA repair, try to go over troubleshooting guide first to see if you have similar symptoms as mentioned below.

The power is on, but no signal to monitor:
  • Connect the monitor power cord to a electrical outlet securely.
  • Make sure the...
Nov 29, 2020
Have you tried booting with 1 stick of RAM in slot DIMMA2?
Have you tried booting with no drives connected to see if you can get into the BIOS?
Hi, yes I’ve tried each stick by themselves in the second closest slot to the CPU and I just tried after disconnecting both the hdd and disk drive from the mobo and I got the same result.

I believe so as both the clamps for the ram clicked and were raised to their starting positions when I pushed the ram in.
It is not clear to me why your new build is not working properly. Are you sure the problem is not with your monitor? Here is a troubleshooting checklist that may be useful to you.

Nov 29, 2020
It is not clear to me why your new build is not working properly. Are you sure the problem is not with your monitor? Here is a troubleshooting checklist that may be useful to you.

I’m certain that the monitor is working properly as it will display a laptop screen if I connect it using the same wire and port and I’ve gone through most of the checklist, but I don’t currently have a mobo speaker installed, would this be worth buying and installing for trouble shooting in my case?

You do not need to buy a motherboard speaker, the motherboard has it's own built in speaker. Check page 100 of your motherboard manual.

Troubleshooting:
Before sending the motherboard for RMA repair, try to go over troubleshooting guide first to see if you have similar symptoms as mentioned below.

The power is on, but no signal to monitor:
  • Connect the monitor power cord to a electrical outlet securely.
  • Make sure the monitor is turned on.
  • Select different inputs on the monitor.
  • If 3 long beeps are heard, remove all memory modules and try to install only one memory module in the DIMMA2 slot first and then restart the computer.
  • If 1 long 2 short beeps are heard, remove and reinstall the graphics card and then restart the computer.
  • Test with another known working graphics card.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS