[SOLVED] PC upgrade for Red Dead 2/ "motherboard and ram"

farhadm1244

Commendable
Oct 5, 2017
My entire build is linked below:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/cCT6hg

At the moment I am tight on money as a student. Thus, my question is should I just buy another
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 for $50?
Or should i just eat noodles for a week and buy a motherboard and ram that is DDR4?
If so please
recommend (Ram, and motherboard) based on my build in the link above

Last edited:
Solution
So should I just dump my old ram? And get a 16 gb ram? Which ram brand should I get. If you don't mind answering

That is a decision that only you can make. You could try buying the exact same RAM as you currently have and try it. It may work fine or it may give you poor performance. Personally, I'd buy a 16GB kit (2x8GB) just to be safe.

Your mobo supports a pretty impressively wide range of DDR3 RAM speeds. from 1066 up to 3100 (OC). Gotta love AsRock. I have their TaiChi for my 2700X and it's been fantastic.

So for RAM, here is the same g.skill Ares that you currently have installed, only in a 16Gb kit. It's not the cheapest though @ $100 and there are cheaper kits out there. Here is a 16GB kit by Patriot. Their...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
My entire build is linked below:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/cCT6hg

At the moment I am tight on money as a student. Thus, my question is should I just buy another
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 for $50?
Or should i just eat noodles for a week and buy a motherboard and ram that is DDR4?
If so please
recommend (Ram, and motherboard) based on my build in the link above

The i5 4000 series CPU's are all DDR3. So if you eat noodles and buy the new mobo and DDR4 RAM, you'll still have poor performance since you'll not have a CPU. :)

Your current system is still nice and viable. Especially with the 1070 you have. I would suggest you buy the RAM and then later buy a new system based on DDR4+. I'd STRONGLY advise you to buy a 16GB kit, as opposed to just another 8GB. General rule of thumb is to never mix n' match RAM. Even if you buy the same 2x4GB kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: farhadm1244

farhadm1244

Commendable
Oct 5, 2017
So should I just dump my old ram? And get a 16 gb ram? Which ram brand should I get. If you don't mind answering
The i5 4000 series CPU's are all DDR3. So if you eat noodles and buy the new mobo and DDR4 RAM, you'll still have poor performance since you'll not have a CPU. :)

Your current system is still nice and viable. Especially with the 1070 you have. I would suggest you buy the RAM and then later buy a new system based on DDR4+. I'd STRONGLY advise you to buy a 16GB kit, as opposed to just another 8GB. General rule of thumb is to never mix n' match RAM. Even if you buy the same 2x4GB kit.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

That is a decision that only you can make. You could try buying the exact same RAM as you currently have and try it. It may work fine or it may give you poor performance. Personally, I'd buy a 16GB kit (2x8GB) just to be safe.

Your mobo supports a pretty impressively wide range of DDR3 RAM speeds. from 1066 up to 3100 (OC). Gotta love AsRock. I have their TaiChi for my 2700X and it's been fantastic.

So for RAM, here is the same g.skill Ares that you currently have installed, only in a 16Gb kit. It's not the cheapest though @ $100 and there are cheaper kits out there. Here is a 16GB kit by Patriot. Their Viper III series for almost 1/2 the cost @ $59.99. Whats your max budget?

Solution

farhadm1244

Commendable
Oct 5, 2017

So for RAM, here is the same g.skill Ares that you currently have installed, only in a 16Gb kit. It's not the cheapest though @ $100 and there are cheaper kits out there. Here is a 16GB kit by Patriot. Their Viper III series for almost 1/2 the cost @ $59.99. Whats your max budget?
Id say 100