Question PC Upgrade recommendations/advice

Jun 24, 2024
Hi All,

I recently purchased the following PC setup and am considering some upgrades. I’d appreciate your advice on whether there are any obvious improvements I should be aiming for, particularly regarding the processor.

Current Setup:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600
  • RAM: 32GB at 3600 MHz (2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro)
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Mech 2x OC Edition Graphics Card
  • HDD: Netac SSD 1TB
  • SSD: Integral 250GB SSD NVME M.2. (R-3350MB/s, W-1350MB/s)
  • PSU: Golden Field GPG 80+ Gold 650W
  • Monitor: ACER Nitro XV282KK @ 144Hz
Would upgrading the processor be worthwhile? If so, which would you recommend: Ryzen 5 5600X3D, Ryzen 7 5700X3D, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, or another option?

Additionally, do you think it would be beneficial to upgrade the SSD to a Samsung 980 Pro? Would you notice a significant difference in performance?

I’m also concerned about potential bottlenecking issues.

Any general improvements or recommendations you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

I recently purchased the following PC setup and am considering some upgrades. I’d appreciate your advice on whether there are any obvious improvements I should be aiming for, particularly regarding the processor.

Current Setup:

Would upgrading the processor be worthwhile? If so, which would you recommend: Ryzen 5 5600X3D, Ryzen 7 5700X3D, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, or another option?

Additionally, do you think it would be beneficial to upgrade the SSD to a Samsung 980 Pro? Would you notice a significant difference in performance?

Any general improvements or recommendations you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
For gaming ?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D would be top choice for gaming on that platform, although nit classical "bottleneck" with better GPU for higher resolution, frequency and settings.
As for SSD. larger NVME where you can install all games for better response, speed is less important.

would say the system is quite balanced. It depends on what you are using this system for.
If video editing/CAD/photo editing is more the use for it, would get a better CPU
if pro gaming 4k or similar, upgrade CPU and GPU and eventually RAM to a higher frequency

if the SSD is Sata you could replace it with a nvme, but usually this is not necessary to improve performance much

Jun 24, 2024
For gaming ?
Ryzen 7 5800X3D would be top choice for gaming on that platform, although nit classical "bottleneck" with better GPU for higher resolution, frequency and settings.
As for SSD. larger NVME where you can install all games for better response, speed is less important.
Hi Mike,

Yes for gaming. Thank you, i will look at upgrading to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D soon. Not sure on what the whole bottlenecking means if i'm honest.

you could quickly check if the games you play are bottlenecked by your CPU or GPU - reduce the graphics settings, if the FPS increases, it is GPU bound. If the FPS does not increase, it is CPU bound.

the 5700X3D is cheaper than the 5800X3D and gives about 95% of the performance.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hi Mike,

Yes for gaming. Thank you, i will look at upgrading to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D soon. Not sure on what the whole bottlenecking means if i'm honest.
Keep in mind. Not all games are faster on the 5800x3d. Some games don't respond to the extra cache. It's worth checking which games you play and if you benefit from the new CPU. With that said, nearly all games have better 1% low FPS which is an indicator of game smoothness while playing.

I'd also pump for the 5700x3d which is essentially the same as the 5800x3d but with a lower TDP of 65w.

You might also need a CPU cooler upgrade, as the x3d chips run a little hotter than the non-x3d parts.

Jun 24, 2024
Keep in mind. Not all games are faster on the 5800x3d. Some games don't respond to the extra cache. It's worth checking which games you play and if you benefit from the new CPU. With that said, nearly all games have better 1% low FPS which is an indicator of game smoothness while playing.

I'd also pump for the 5700x3d which is essentially the same as the 5800x3d but with a lower TDP of 65w.

You might also need a CPU cooler upgrade, as the x3d chips run a little hotter than the non-x3d parts.
I have just purchased the 5800x3d, Comes tomorrow.

Is it beneficial to have a say 250gb M.2 boot drive and a 1tb M.2 game drive? Or would it be okay to get a 2tb m.2 drive for both for ease?
Either option is quite valid.

I've a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb as my boot drive. Then a 1tb Samsung 980 as my game drive. (And yes I have a few games on the 970 Evo. But most of the big ones are on the second drive.

Games are getting really big with the size of files. Upward to 200gb per game. Getting a 2 or 4tb game drive would be advantageous.

Often it's a good idea to put your games on a separate drive to the OS, so in the event of an issue you don't need to download them all again. You can simply use the GUI for lets say, Steam and point it back to the drive.

Hi All,

Current Setup:

The Ryzen 7 5700X3D would give you more FPS.