Question PC was asleep and now won't boot

May 3, 2024
My PC (Win 11) was sleeping and I wiggled the mouse to turn it on, the fans audibly ramped up for about 0.5 seconds and then it shut off completely. Here are the steps I followed:
1. Tried powering on using external power button - nothing happened
2. Tried powering on using motherboard power button - nothing happened
3. Checked all cable connections inside pc and repeat - nothing happened
4. Unplugged 24pin ATX cable from motherboard and jump started PSU using paperclip method - fanspin from PSU (which wasn't happening when trying to power on whole PC)
5. Removed GPU and all but 1 stick of RAM and tried again - nothing happened
6. Took motherboard and PSU outside of case with nothing plugged in apart from 24pin ATX and 8pin CPU - nothing happened
7. Try reseating CPU - still no life

The motherboard has indicator lights for faulty components but since the motherboard isn't even triggering the PSU to turn on then I don't imagine the lights could turn on even if a component was faulty.

The PC is about 9 months old, built from all new parts, has been used for day-to-day office work and some light gaming.

Here are the specs:

Intel i9 13900K
NZXT N7 Z790
MSI MPG A850G PCIE5
Gigabyte 4070Ti
32GB (2x16) Corsair DDR5 PC5-51200
2TB WD Black SN850X
EKWB CR360 AIO

Any advice on what the issue could be or what my next steps are would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

History of heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Do you have access to another known working PSU that can be swapped in? Be sure to use only the cables that come with the test PSU.

May 3, 2024
PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, used, refurbished)?

Do you have access to another known working PSU that can be swapped in? Be sure to use only the cables that come with the test PSU.
Have updated the original post with relevant details. Don't have a spare PSU with me right now but i could probably get my hands on one to test ! thanks

May 3, 2024

Hey, I've just got the test PSU plugged in, using the cables it came with. Still no life... It's a brand new PSU so I guess technically not 'known working' but it seems pretty unlikely that it wouldn't work. What should I do next? The motherboard has error indication lights for CPU, RAM, etc but there is no life in anything so none of those lights are lighting up which means I don't know if it's the CPU that is the issue. Does this mean dead board??