[SOLVED] PC will not boot after upgrading to Windows 11 ?

Kash31591

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
Hello. I installed Windows 11 last night. There were no issues with the install and the pre-update check informed me that my PC could run Windows 11. After installing, I restarted my PC as prompted and got my usual loading screen. It was taking a very long time to load, but I figured it was applying the new updates and went to bed with the computer running. This morning, it is still stuck on the black loading screen.

I restarted the computer manually and got the same problem. After a few restarts, I got a "preparing automatic repair" notification, which unfortunately leads to another endless black loading screen, although at least this time, the lights on my keyboard and mouse turn on. It's stuck on either an endless loading screen with no lights on the keyboard or mouse or notifies me it is "preparing automatic repair" which leads to another endless loading screen with lights on the keyboard and mouse. I'm not sure what to do next and am really regretting updating to Windows 11. Any suggestions?

Solution
are you using the MS Media Creation Tool to create an up-to-date install package each time?
have absolutely no idea why this thing can't boot at all
it's possible you have a bad disk that just happened to finally malfunction during this install.

one thing you can try is to use a bootable disk management software on USB;
reformat the entire disk, and perform a fresh install again with an up-to-date Windows 10 install package.
if this also fails you have a deeper issue to deal with than just a bad disk.

there is nothing Windows 11 offers that is worth fretting over at this point.

Kash31591

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
Hello. I'm not really sure if this belongs in windows 10 or 11, but I tried to revert back so I'll post here. I upgraded to windows 11 last night and all was well until I was prompted to restart the PC. It was stuck in an endless loading screen all night, so I tried to force the automatic repair in order to get to the advanced settings and reset the update. Again, I was just stuck on an endless "preparing automatic repair" screen which continued until I got home from work. I then attempted a fresh install of windows 10 using an official windows usb. I'm prompted to select 32 or 64 bit, get a short loading bar for "loading files", and then, again, I'm stuck on an endless black screen.

I unplugged my hard drive, and it takes me straight to BIOS. I took out the GPU, and it starts fine, but obviously has nothing on the monitor. At this point, I have absolutely no idea why this thing can't boot at all and need advice.

Kash31591

Reputable
Mar 3, 2017
I upgraded to windows 11 last night (windows claimed the computer could run 11 and that it was good to go) and all was well until I was prompted to restart the PC. It was stuck in an endless loading screen all night, so I tried to force the automatic repair in order to get to the advanced settings and reset the update. Again, I was just stuck on an endless "preparing automatic repair" screen which continued until I got home from work. I then attempted a fresh install of windows 10 using an official windows usb. I'm prompted to select 32 or 64 bit, get a short loading bar for "loading files", and then, again, I'm stuck on an endless black screen.

I unplugged my hard drive, and it takes me straight to BIOS. I took out the GPU, and it starts fine, but obviously has nothing on the monitor. At this point, I have absolutely no idea why this thing can't boot at all and need advice. Did the upgrade brick it? Did my drive get corrupted? I'm totally lost.

are you using the MS Media Creation Tool to create an up-to-date install package each time?
have absolutely no idea why this thing can't boot at all
it's possible you have a bad disk that just happened to finally malfunction during this install.

one thing you can try is to use a bootable disk management software on USB;
reformat the entire disk, and perform a fresh install again with an up-to-date Windows 10 install package.
if this also fails you have a deeper issue to deal with than just a bad disk.

there is nothing Windows 11 offers that is worth fretting over at this point.

Solution
If you were to download a linux distro onto a usb (I use linuxmint mate) and try booting from that, at least you could examine your disk, remove any partitions, make sure the gpt designation is intact and start all over from there. As USAFret reminds us, you should have a complete disk image of your W10 installation before trying W11.