[SOLVED] PC will not boot with 2 RAM sticks in

Brownie93

Commendable
Jun 29, 2020
I recently did a BIOS update on the ASUS B350-PLUS motherboard (the latest bios) and since, my PC refuses to boot with 2 sticks of RAM in. If I take one out, boots like normal. Once I've booted with one, if I turn the system off and put the second stick in, it'll boot fine. It's just first thing every day I try to turn the system on, it will not boot.

I've tried rolling back to an earlier BIOS. The sticks are in the correct slots as the manual says. I've tried both sticks separately as one and both boot the system up separately but not together. I've tried with D.O.C.P enabled and disabled. I have reset the BIOS by taking the CMOS battery out.

I'm seriously running out of ideas of what is wrong with it. Has anyone any ideas? Everything was fine until I did the BIOS update.

A quick question about taking the CMOS out as I'd never done it before. Does that set the bios date back to the original factory date? (would be 2017).When I did it and returned the system back on, in the BIOS the date was still 2019. Is there no way to get the BIOS back to what it was when I first plugged it in, would it

Solution
Thanks for the quick reply. I did it as 8gb of my RAM was stuck as hardware reserved and was recommended to update the bios. This worked but since then I've been having this issue. Do you recommend I keep the CMOS out longer? I contacted ASUS and they told me to do it for around 3-5 minutes. The motherboard was bought in 2017.
Yeah over 5 minutes up to 10 minutes. i've kept mine out for 10 minutes just to reset everything. In order to fix the hardware reserved ram you need to
  1. open your CMD by typing CMD into the search bar.
  2. when the CMD opens type this word MSCONFIG hit ENTER
  3. that will bring up a window. click on the boot tab make sure you have the DEFAULT OS highlighted.
  4. from there you want to click on advanced...

Ferimer

Distinguished
I recently did a BIOS update on the ASUS B350-PLUS motherboard (the latest bios) and since, my PC refuses to boot with 2 sticks of RAM in. If I take one out, boots like normal. Once I've booted with one, if I turn the system off and put the second stick in, it'll boot fine. It's just first thing every day I try to turn the system on, it will not boot.

I've tried rolling back to an earlier BIOS. The sticks are in the correct slots as the manual says. I've tried both sticks separately as one and both boot the system up separately but not together. I've tried with D.O.C.P enabled and disabled. I have reset the BIOS by taking the CMOS battery out.

I'm seriously running out of ideas of what is wrong with it. Has anyone any ideas? Everything was fine until I did the BIOS update.

A quick question about taking the CMOS out as I'd never done it before. Does that set the bios date back to the original factory date? (would be 2017).When I did it and returned the system back on, in the BIOS the date was still 2019. Is there no way to get the BIOS back to what it was when I first plugged it in, would it
Why did you do a bios update? were you having issues? or you felt you needed to? WHen doing Bios updates you run into risks. When did you buy the motherboard? in 2017? When you remove the CMOS battery it resets all settings you have changed by removing the battery for up to 10 minutes and replacing it

Brownie93

Commendable
Jun 29, 2020
Why did you do a bios update? were you having issues? or you felt you needed to? WHen doing Bios updates you run into risks. When did you buy the motherboard? in 2017? When you remove the CMOS battery it resets all settings you have changed by removing the battery for up to 10 minutes and replacing it
Thanks for the quick reply. I did it as 8gb of my RAM was stuck as hardware reserved and was recommended to update the bios. This worked but since then I've been having this issue. Do you recommend I keep the CMOS out longer? I contacted ASUS and they told me to do it for around 3-5 minutes. The motherboard was bought in 2017.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Yeah over 5 minutes up to 10 minutes. i've kept mine out for 10 minutes just to reset everything. In order to fix the hardware reserved ram you need to
  2. when the CMD opens type this word MSCONFIG hit ENTER
  3. that will bring up a window. click on the boot tab make sure you have the DEFAULT OS highlighted.
  4. from there you want to click on advanced Options.
  5. if the boxes named Number of Processes and Maximum Memory have check marks UNCHECK THEM then hit ok
  6. it will take you back, Click Apply and then OK and restart the system and that should solve your issue with the 8 gb of ram being reserved

Solution

Brownie93

Commendable
Jun 29, 2020
  2. when the CMD opens type this word MSCONFIG.
  4. from there you want to click on advanced Options.
  5. if the boxes named Number of Processes and Maximum Memory have check marks UNCHECK THEM then hit ok and that should solve your issue with the 8 gb of ram being reserved
Okay, I'll leave it out for longer and give it a try. Will the date go back to 2017? just as an indicator to see it has done it correctly.

The hardware reserved RAM is fine now, I have my full 16GB but I did try your method and it didn't work that's why I someone told me to update the BIOS. I'll reply and let you know if having the battery out longer works.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Okay, I'll leave it out for longer and give it a try. Will the date go back to 2017? just as an indicator to see it has done it correctly.

The hardware reserved RAM is fine now, I have my full 16GB but I did try your method and it didn't work that's why I someone told me to update the BIOS. I'll reply and let you know if having the battery out longer works.
did you buy the ram the same year as the motherboard? you just noticed the 8gbs of ram issue now? or did you buy new ram recently? The motherboard will revert itself back to the latest bios setting that was installed on it at the time it was produced. so the motherboard brand you have could have been manufactured in 2017 originally, but when they make more of the product they update them with the latests versions. Meaning that if it was a motherboard from 2017 but was built in 2019 it would have a BIOS update from 2019. just as an example.

Brownie93

Commendable
Jun 29, 2020
did you buy the ram the same year as the motherboard? you just noticed the 8gbs of ram issue now? or did you buy new ram recently? The motherboard will revert itself back to the latest bios setting that was installed on it at the time it was produced. so the motherboard brand you have could have been manufactured in 2017 originally, but when they make more of the product they update them with the latests versions. Meaning that if it was a motherboard from 2017 but was built in 2019 it would have a BIOS update from 2019. just as an example.
I recently upgraded my RAM from 2x 4GB stick to 2x8GB sticks. I have only just noticed that the RAM was hardware reserved, it always said I had 16GB but browsing the task manager the other day I noticed that 8GB wasn't being used. Okay, I just remember the BIOS date being 2017 on it before I did the update to the lastest one and it changed to 2019 after the update I did. That's why I was confused when it still said 2019 after I did the CMOS reset. Would you recommend I keep D.O.C.P on or off?

Ferimer

Distinguished
I recently upgraded my RAM from 2x 4GB stick to 2x8GB sticks. I have only just noticed that the RAM was hardware reserved, it always said I had 16GB but browsing the task manager the other day I noticed that 8GB wasn't being used. Okay, I just remember the BIOS date being 2017 on it before I did the update to the lastest one and it changed to 2019 after the update I did. That's why I was confused when it still said 2019 after I did the CMOS reset. Would you recommend I keep D.O.C.P on or off?
DOCP is for overclocking the ram. Its an automatic Profile that allows the motherboard to adjust to the proper speed of the ram sticks. usually anything above i think 2333mhz uses it. so keeping it on will boost it to its proper advertised speed. the fact that is showing that you have the 16gb of ram means your system is recognizing that you have the 2x8 gb. You would need ot provide a full system setup for me. Like what motherboard you have and CPU and PSU size and wattage and the ram make and model and speed. just so myself or anyone else can get an idea.

Brownie93

Commendable
Jun 29, 2020
DOCP is for overclocking the ram. Its an automatic Profile that allows the motherboard to adjust to the proper speed of the ram sticks. usually anything above i think 2333mhz uses it. so keeping it on will boost it to its proper advertised speed. the fact that is showing that you have the 16gb of ram means your system is recognizing that you have the 2x8 gb. You would need ot provide a full system setup for me. Like what motherboard you have and CPU and PSU size and wattage and the ram make and model and speed. just so myself or anyone else can get an idea.

yeah sure system is:

mobo: Asus Prime b350-Plus
Psu: Evga 650w gold psu
Gpu: Rog strix nvidia gtx 1070ti
Cpu: ryzen 7 1700
Memory: g.skill trident z ddr4 3200mhz

I tried your suggestion of keeping the cmos battery out for 10 minutes, put it back in, wouldn’t boot with both ram again. Update now though is I tried with one stick and it wouldn’t boot then either, I swapped the stick for the other and it booted. Now I’m questioning if my ram is good. They’ve both been working fine until that bios update though. It’s really puzzling how nothing seems to be working.

Ferimer

Distinguished
yeah sure system is:

mobo: Asus Prime b350-Plus
Psu: Evga 650w gold psu
Gpu: Rog strix nvidia gtx 1070ti
Cpu: ryzen 7 1700
Memory: g.skill trident z ddr4 3200mhz

I tried your suggestion of keeping the cmos battery out for 10 minutes, put it back in, wouldn’t boot with both ram again. Update now though is I tried with one stick and it wouldn’t boot then either, I swapped the stick for the other and it booted. Now I’m questioning if my ram is good. They’ve both been working fine until that bios update though. It’s really puzzling how nothing seems to be working.
So with the one good stick in you may need to adjust some settings in your bios to see if it is just allowing for one, you may need to post your updated issue into the Motherboard section of the forum. It does sound like the one ram stick got fried or something when you updated the BIOS

Brownie93

Commendable
Jun 29, 2020
So with the one good stick in you may need to adjust some settings in your bios to see if it is just allowing for one, you may need to post your updated issue into the Motherboard section of the forum. It does sound like the one ram stick got fried or something when you updated the BIOS
To update this. I swapped out one of the ram sticks for my friend's ram stick, which is the exact same model and it has booted with his stick and mine since and been fine. He tried my stick in his system and started getting trouble so, I think it was the stick. I'm not sure how to sick has gone bad all of a sudden, but seems it might have been the problem. Thank for the help anyway Ferimer, I appreciate it.