[SOLVED] PC won’t start Ryzen 5600x

tyskeren

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello

i just purchased some new hardware a Ryzen 5600x and an ASUS X570-P

My motherboard lights up, but I Cannon start the PC, and now I am reading that the CPU won’t work with the motherboard out of the box? Did I just screw myself over? Can I not even turn on the PC?

Solution
Yeah, sadly Zen 3 Suppport is not the same as Zen 3 Ready. And don't worry this could happend to anyone.

For the time been, I haven't heard that AMD has an upgrade/boot kit for Zen 3 (as they did have for Zen 2) but you could try asking AMD support, they may or not have something for your particular case.

This was the original Zen 2 boot kit page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100, look at the bottom of the page for the link to ask for this kit, perhaps they have something to loan to you?

tyskeren

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
It probably needs a BIOS update, check if your mobo needs one, if it has the flashback feature you can download the bios update into a USB drive and plug it in without the CPU installed to update the bios

okay, so I though all 500+ was zen 3 ready, can you point me to a specific motherboard that is 100% guarenteed zen 3 ready without a Bios update

okay, so I though all 500+ was zen 3 ready, can you point me to a specific motherboard that is 100% guarenteed zen 3 ready without a Bios update

Newer stock will come with Zen 3 support out of the box, I know some newer high end one come with it already, but those cost over $300. Can you ask the seller to upgrade the BIOS for you?, or perhaps do you have any Zen 2 CPU you could use to upgrade it?

Does the motherboard box say Zen 3 ready?, if it does you have to get in touch with the seller.

tyskeren

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Newer stock will come with Zen 3 support out of the box, I know some newer high end one come with it already, but those cost over $300. Can you ask the seller to upgrade the BIOS for you?, or perhaps do you have any Zen 2 CPU you could use to upgrade it?

Does the motherboard box say Zen 3 ready?, if it does you have to get in touch with the seller.

it just says “supports Zen 3” on the site, so I think I just jebaited myself.

seems rather silly that all cards seem to need a BIOS Update... guess thats the bad thing about buying stuff brand new.

sadly I don’t have any old Ryzen, this is my first non Intel CPU, sad it starts out like this, but I will see what the seller can or can’t do for me.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
according to the BIOS manual it does not have a way to flash the BIOS without a cpu installed.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ME_PRO_TUF_GAMING_X570_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB.pdf

so you'll need to find one to use for a few minutes or see if the seller can do it or return the board for one that has been updated.

keep in mind that the 500 series chipset came before the 5000 series chips. as such they need the update to run the new chip. if it was made after the bios was available, then it probably has it pre-installed. however if it was in the box before then it will need it. Pretty much standard as to how all parts work. they can't predict the future and can only put the newest available at the time on the card. unless you know how to reach into the future which i am sure they'd love to hire you to teach them :)

Reactions: RodroX
Yeah, sadly Zen 3 Suppport is not the same as Zen 3 Ready. And don't worry this could happend to anyone.

For the time been, I haven't heard that AMD has an upgrade/boot kit for Zen 3 (as they did have for Zen 2) but you could try asking AMD support, they may or not have something for your particular case.

This was the original Zen 2 boot kit page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100, look at the bottom of the page for the link to ask for this kit, perhaps they have something to loan to you?

Solution