Question PC won't boot after installing second SSD, & DRAM QLED is lit ?

TokerX

Honorable
May 22, 2017
System information:

MB: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 2x16GB 3200MHz
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 570
HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB, Western Digital Black 2TB, Western Digital Red 3TB
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2 1TB

New additions:

HDD: Western Digital Red 3TB
SSD: Samsung 980 EVO NVME M.2 1TB

Yesterday I installed the new HDD and SSD in my pc, ever since it won't boot.
MB gives status code 00 and the DRAM QLED is blinking (if you flick the PSU switch off and on quickly to make it reboot it's solid).

The HDD I had used in another pc, so that one's fine and the SATA/power cables were already in place from a previous HDD that had died (and I have checked every single cable in the system as well). So the most likely culprit seems to be the SSD. Still how does that affect the RAM?

In order to lift the SSD cover I did have to remove the graphics card, but still nothing to do with the RAM.

I have checked the RAM, tested them individually, tried every slot, no difference. The only thing I can tell is that the RGB lights are receiving power lol. And sadly enough I don't have another MB that can fit DDR4. And why would the RAM magically die by adding a HDD and SSD? Unless there was a short, but as far as I can remember from school they shouldn't be directly connected to one another (although there is of course a big difference between a simple architecture schematic and how it's actually done, and back then there were no SSDs yet, so who knows?).

I have also taken out every drive, the graphics card, the CMOS battery (and replaced it), no difference whatsoever.

I'm still going to take out the CPU, reseat the MB, well basically start the whole build anew , but I doubt it'll make a difference.

I did find a similar thing on Reddit, but sadly enough the thread is archived and no answer was given.

Has anyone ever encountered something similar? Does anyone know what might be causing it? Is the MB ready to be trashed?

Last edited:

TokerX

Honorable
May 22, 2017
Bios version
PSU make and model

Bios has to be anything lower than 3405 (can't remember if I updated it when I built it, haven't updated since), but can't check now.

PSU: Corsair Gold AX750. But it would be very improbable to be anything PSU related, since all in all, as far as the build was concerned only 1 SSD was added (the HDD was a replacement). Removing parts doesn't make a difference either, so in order for it to be the PSU it would have to have been damaged from overdrawing current in such a way that it still can power on and supply enough power for the RGB lighting on the RAM and MB, and for the MB to be powered but not enough to boot (with nothing but the CPU and RAM connected to it).

Last edited:

TokerX

Honorable
May 22, 2017
Alright so I powered down my pc by shutting off the power cause it took forever to shut it todnw itself, now pressing the power button does nothing. (And yes the power is turned on)

This is getting too ridiculous.