Question PC won't boot after turning on secure boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2021
Hello guys,

recently I've swapped to WINDOWS 11 to try it out. Everything was working just fine but after a few days Vanguard from Valorant kept giving me error for not having TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled. TPM was enabled but SB was not so I went to BIOS to enable it and after restart nothing was working. The screen is black, USB's don't work only MB RGB lights are on (they even keep running after turning off PC), CPU and SYS fans work but nothing is happening. Sometimes I can't even turn the PC off with button.

I've tried clearing CMOS, disconnecting everything even turning PC on without button connected but nothing has worked and since I can't get to BIOS or WIN I can't think of anything else. GPU is working, HDMI's are fine and displays aswell. Changing RAM's does not help either.

DRAM, CPU and VGA LED's on MB are flashing slowly.

Thank you for every suggestion.

PC SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte B550 Aorus PRO ac
HyperX Predator 3200 MHz 2x8 GB
Sapphire RX 480 4GB
beQuiet! Pure Base 500DX
WD SN850 1TB
Corsair RM750 2019

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am hoping the release version of win 11 doesn't want me to turn secure boot on as right now the test on their site says I pass everything else, and I am running 11 now.

A bit worrying some Gigabyte bios do this.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Looks like same issue here, as well.

I have a similar test rig and will take a look on my end.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I enabled Secure Boot on my Win 11 (B550) and two Win 10 rigs (both with X570) today. Nothing unusual at all afterward.

Steps to enable (all AMD-based Gigabyte mobos) Secure Boot. Make sure fTPM is enabled. Make sure CSM is disabled. In Secure Boot, select custom under Secure Boot Mode, Select Restore Factory Keys, Say YES to reset without saving.

When BIOS restarts, access BIOS and change Secure Boot Mode back to Standard and then Yes to restart without save.

Let Windows boot fully.

Use msinfo to verify that Secure Boot State is on.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I enabled Secure Boot on my Win 11 (B550) and two Win 10 rigs (both with X570) today. Nothing unusual at all afterward.

Steps to enable (all AMD-based Gigabyte mobos) Secure Boot. Make sure fTPM is enabled. Make sure CSM is disabled. In Secure Boot, select custom under Secure Boot Mode, Select Restore Factory Keys, Say YES to reset without saving.

When BIOS restarts, access BIOS and change Secure Boot Mode back to Standard and then Yes to restart without save.

Let Windows boot fully.

Use msinfo to verify that Secure Boot State is on.
I have bookmarked this post so if I need to turn it on to use win 11, I will look at this. right now, beta doesn't mind and test says I pass so I leave it as is.

Its not valorant, its the anti cheat program that you have to run to use it. It runs at ring 0 of the CPU, same access as Kernel. It thinks it owns any PC you install it on. If it wasn't needed to play game I would call it malware.
vgk.sys

Nov 2, 2021
Hello guys,

recently I've swapped to WINDOWS 11 to try it out. Everything was working just fine but after a few days Vanguard from Valorant kept giving me error for not having TPM 2.0 and Secure boot enabled. TPM was enabled but SB was not so I went to BIOS to enable it and after restart nothing was working. The screen is black, USB's don't work only MB RGB lights are on (they even keep running after turning off PC), CPU and SYS fans work but nothing is happening. Sometimes I can't even turn the PC off with button.

I've tried clearing CMOS, disconnecting everything even turning PC on without button connected but nothing has worked and since I can't get to BIOS or WIN I can't think of anything else. GPU is working, HDMI's are fine and displays aswell. Changing RAM's does not help either.

DRAM, CPU and VGA LED's on MB are flashing slowly.

Thank you for every suggestion.

PC SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte B550 Aorus PRO ac
HyperX Predator 3200 MHz 2x8 GB
Sapphire RX 480 4GB
beQuiet! Pure Base 500DX
WD SN850 1TB
Corsair RM750 2019

Hi, hope this answer will help you out, after a month of trying stuff and research, the solution of this problem ( yes i had THE SAME EXCAT PROBLEM ) i resolved it simply updating the BIOS at the last version!!
Hope you'll get this message

Nov 4, 2021
Hi, hope this answer will help you out, after a month of trying stuff and research, the solution of this problem ( yes i had THE SAME EXCAT PROBLEM ) i resolved it simply updating the BIOS at the last version!!
Hope you'll get this message

Hey, how did you updated the BIOS to the last version without having directly access to the BIOS? Since USB don't work and it basically means no keyboard or any USB key.
A friend of mine got the same problem with Valorant's Riot Vanguard acting like a Malware and killed his PC when my friend enabled Secure Boot.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2021
Hey, how did you updated the BIOS to the last version without having directly access to the BIOS? Since USB don't work and it basically means no keyboard or any USB key.
A friend of mine got the same problem with Valorant's Riot Vanguard acting like a Malware and killed his PC when my friend enabled Secure Boot.

Its necessary to have another pc where to download the latest driver, you can simply type the name of your MOBO (example : "b450 aorus elite driver downlaod")
Download the latest BIOS update and drag the file into a usb .

After that you have to insert this usb into I/O of your MOBO and access to BIOS, section Q-Flash and boot the installation, then you're good to go!
If you're not able to update your BIOS, just search a guide on youtube, there are bounch of them!
Its necessary to have a keyboard (but not a mouse), so you must get one from another pc.

If in the past you enabled the Secure Boot and your PC wasn't able to boot on, do not worry about it, there is a simple fix:
Just remove the rounded battery placed on your motherboard for 1 to 2 minutes and then place it back, your BIOS should have been reset and your PC will be able to boot again with automatically turning off the Secure boot.
here's an example of the battery : View: https://i.imgur.com/Lki6g8x.png

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021
Its necessary to have another pc where to download the latest driver, you can simply type the name of your MOBO (example : "b450 aorus elite driver downlaod")
Download the latest BIOS update and drag the file into a usb .

After that you have to insert this usb into I/O of your MOBO and access to BIOS, section Q-Flash and boot the installation, then you're good to go!
If you're not able to update your BIOS, just search a guide on youtube, there are bounch of them!
Its necessary to have a keyboard (but not a mouse), so you must get one from another pc.

If in the past you enabled the Secure Boot and your PC wasn't able to boot on, do not worry about it, there is a simple fix:
Just remove the rounded battery placed on your motherboard for 1 to 2 minutes and then place it back, your BIOS should have been reset and your PC will be able to boot again with automatically turning off the Secure boot.
here's an example of the battery : View: https://i.imgur.com/Lki6g8x.png
Good evening, I have the same problem, I think you do not understand when they said that no more access to boot (more display, nothing), so how to flash the bios without access to the bios B450 AORUS ELITE, remove the battery and making a clear cmos does not change anything.

Nov 2, 2021
Good evening, I have the same problem, I think you do not understand when they said that no more access to boot (more display, nothing), so how to flash the bios without access to the bios B450 AORUS ELITE, remove the battery and making a clear cmos does not change anything.

The only way you can access to a BIOS if you changed something you didn't had to change is clear the cmos by removing the battery, that makes your bios boot again.
If you can't boot the bios will be probably an hardware problem, maybe just some dust in the RAM slots or worst some PSU problems or MOBO problem.
You can search on internet how to fix this problem, but the easiest way is to remove the battery.

Oct 31, 2021
The only way you can access to a BIOS if you changed something you didn't had to change is clear the cmos by removing the battery, that makes your bios boot again.
If you can't boot the bios will be probably an hardware problem, maybe just some dust in the RAM slots or worst some PSU problems or MOBO problem.
You can search on internet how to fix this problem, but the easiest way is to remove the battery.
I have already tried everything, remove the battery, change ram, change processor, power supply.

Nov 2, 2021
I have already tried everything, remove the battery, change ram, change processor, power supply.

At this point,if i were you i would try to check if your MOBO is working correctly(Check if the MOBO recieve current), the only way to fix was the list o mentioned before, no other ways (happy to be proven wrong).

Another step, but i'm very not sure about, is to remove any hdd or ssd and try another drive that wasn't ever been installed before, maybe, it's just a drive problem

Oct 31, 2021
At this point,if i were you i would try to check if your MOBO is working correctly(Check if the MOBO recieve current), the only way to fix was the list o mentioned before, no other ways (happy to be proven wrong).

Another step, but i'm very not sure about, is to remove any hdd or ssd and try another drive that wasn't ever been installed before, maybe, it's just a drive problem
I have already tried to test without hdd and ssd, just cpu, gpu, ram, and just as usual the motherboard turns on and DRAM, CPU and VGA LED's on MB are flashing slowly.

Nov 2, 2021
I have already tried to test without hdd and ssd, just cpu, gpu, ram, and just as usual the motherboard turns on and DRAM, CPU and VGA LED's on MB are flashing slowly.

That is a very unusual situation, i would recommend to try with another mobo.. i know thats sound expensive, maybe the bios just freaked out

Nov 13, 2021
I was having this same issue. I think I found a solution to at least get you back to the bios. Remove everything from your system, hdd and all but 1 ram stick. While the system is boot looping (CPU,DRAM, VGA then restarting) remove the ram stick and replace it. It will go CPU to DRAM then restart. This worked for me 2 times so I’m sure it’s repeatable. Got me back to the bios with a message saying that the bios has been reset.

Feb 1, 2022
Hello guys, I found the solution, I tried everything you recommended and it didn't work for me, but I read somewhere that the gpu could be the problem, So I put a APU R3 4350G in replacement of my R5 5600x and voila, The system turned on, I reflashed the BIOS and put the 5600x back in and it worked perfectly.

Feb 4, 2022
Hello guys, I found the solution, I tried everything you recommended and it didn't work for me, but I read somewhere that the gpu could be the problem, So I put a APU R3 4350G in replacement of my R5 5600x and voila, The system turned on, I reflashed the BIOS and put the 5600x back in and it worked perfectly.
What solution options did you make? I think to install the Bios F14 which is the latest, but the USB does not work

Feb 5, 2022
I had same problem but found my broken part, first i thought it was the mother board. But I send it back there was nothing wrong with it.
I put it back in my PC and it did the same as before. So something must be broken.
I looked further and I came to the conclusion that my cpu is broken.
What a coincidence haha
Maybe you have the same problem.
Cuz if your cpu or ram is not working you can't get in to the bios.
The ram I checked at a friend's pc and they work fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.