Apr 1, 2020
Tl;dr computer won't boot up after downloading gta5 and crashing my pc. Trying to run my computer just on my ssd asks me to select a boot device and if I plug back in my hdd it says a disk error occured

Hey guys,

I'm a little bit frustrated because of the situation that's going, having to stay home and all of that. So to pass the time I wanted to download gta5 on my gaming computer that is 6 years old.

I encountered multiple problems with this computer but always figured out how to fix it. This time though, I am having troubles figuring out how to fix this.

So as I was downloading gta5, I was on discord talking with some friends where my computer went completely frozen for like 10minutes or even longer and my instinct is to press the reset button. As my computer didn't want to launch, I pressed the button again thinking it was just bugged out. It launched normally through my ssd but I didn't see my hdd drive in my files.

I was tired so I just continued to watch videos and such, then tried to shut down my pc. It kept just going to my lock screen everytime I tried to shut it down through clicking the shutdown button. So I forcefully shut it down.

The next day I try to turn it on and when I boot my pc, it says 'a disk read error occured' and I tried changing boot order, switching sata ports, feeling if the disk is on by touch which it is, and just trying to run it off my ssd.

But when trying to run it off my ssd, it asks me to select a boot device to run off even though the ssd is the one with windows.

FX 6300
1tb Seagate hdd
120gb Kingston ssd
8gb ram

Thank you for any help boys and stay safe

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

If the PSU is indeed 6 years old and has been used for lots of gaming, then the PSU is very suspect.

And how full is that 120 GB SSD drive? If more than 70-80% full, then that is a problem also.

Apr 1, 2020
PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

If the PSU is indeed 6 years old and has been used for lots of gaming, then the PSU is very suspect.

And how full is that 120 GB SSD drive? If more than 70-80% full, then that is a problem also.
Not sure if this is the make but Power™, lc500h-12 v2. 2, 500w bronze certification, 5-6yo, and it's not damaged physically but a little bit of dust around it.

Only 30-40gb used on ssd. Windows, some applications, and league of legends

Ralston18

Titan
First: compare your system's hardware specs to GTA5's hardware requirements.

Second: power down, unplug, open the case. Blow out dust and debris. Ensure that cables, cards, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place. (Do not spin the fans with compressed air.)

Third: Uninstall and reinstall GTA. However, if the computer's specs are not up to the game's requirements then game performance will be limited.

Lastly, if problems continue look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even information events that may provide some insight as to what is happening.

And you can use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time. Observe performance first while not gaming and then while gaming.

Apr 1, 2020
First: compare your system's hardware specs to GTA5's hardware requirements.

Second: power down, unplug, open the case. Blow out dust and debris. Ensure that cables, cards, RAM, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place. (Do not spin the fans with compressed air.)

Third: Uninstall and reinstall GTA. However, if the computer's specs are not up to the game's requirements then game performance will be limited.

Lastly, if problems continue look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even information events that may provide some insight as to what is happening.

And you can use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time. Observe performance first while not gaming and then while gaming.
Thank you for taking your time to respond. I already had gta5 downloaded and worked fine but had little freezes every 5 seconds so the way I fixed this on other games is to transfer it to my ssd.

However as I uninstalled gta5 from my hdd then realised that I won't have enough space in my ssd, I just redownloaded it on my hdd because maybe some files were corrupt since I haven't touched gta for like 1year on my pc. I really dont care much about the hdd and just want my ssd to work and the ssd is the one with windows installed.

So I don't get why I have a 'reboot and select proper device' message when only my ssd is plugged in

Ralston18

Titan
Moving target it seems.....

So the problem is now a boot failure?

What SATA port are you using for the SSD?

Is the SSD connected with known working power and data cables?

Did you go into BIOS and reset the boot drive? Remember to save changes.

And check to see if the changes were retained. If not install a new CMOS battery.

Apr 1, 2020
Moving target it seems.....

So the problem is now a boot failure?

What SATA port are you using for the SSD?

Is the SSD connected with known working power and data cables?

Did you go into BIOS and reset the boot drive? Remember to save changes.

And check to see if the changes were retained. If not install a new CMOS battery.
So basically my pc turns on, goes to the page where you can go to BIOS, select boot option etc and then if I don't touch anything, will say 'a disk read error occured'. Now this is considering that my pc is untouched meaning my hdd and ssd is connected.

Now I take out the power cable and sata cable of the hdd because I want to run my system off my ssd. This shouldn't be any different since my operating software or boot is on the ssd. I have windows installed on both drives but my ssd is my main drive I run windows off. (This is because I didn't build the computer and don't have the windows disk and also in case if 1 drive messes up, I always have a spare to run off of).

And if my hdd is dead then theoretically speaking I should still be able to run my system off my ssd since it holds windows files.

But when I remove my hdd's cables, I get a different error which is 'reboot and select proper boot device.

Also to add, the BIOS detects the ssd, it is set to first boot option priority also.