Question Pc won't Boot

derigueur

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm having a problem thst I can't seem to get to the bottom of. My PC powered off and now pressing the power button on the case does nothing.

I'm not sure if it's a motherboard or PSU issue. The motherboard is an Asus rog strix z690 a gaming motherboard which still is lit to show that there is power. The PSU is Corsair rm850x which spins and seems OK when connected to a Dr. Power II universal atx power supply tester. I've tried using a screwdriver on the motherboard power connectors to see if it will power on to no avail so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Can someone help me to figure this out please?

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

derigueur

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
Apologies, my spec is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7 12700K
CPU Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Motherboard: Asus rog strix z690 a gaming
Ram: Crucial Ballistix RGB BL2K32G32C16U4BL 3200 MHz
SSD/HD: Samsung 860 evo & Western Digital Black
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Vision 8GB OC
PSU: Corsair rm850x
Chassis: Fractal meshify 2
Monitor: DELL U2515H

derigueur

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
I am wondering if your CPU water cooler could be causing the problem. Do you still have the stock cooler that came with your CPU? You could try switching to the old cooler to see if that makes any difference.
My CPU never came with a cooler. I have an old I think it's Noctua DH-15 but I don't have any thermal paste so I'm not sure about switching that in that regard.

Also just for my understanding what makes you think it's the cooler and not related to the motherboard or PSU?

My CPU never came with a cooler. I have an old I think it's Noctua DH-15 but I don't have any thermal paste so I'm not sure about switching that in that regard.

Also just for my understanding what makes you think it's not related to the motherboard or PSU?
It's unusual for the PC to do nothing when you hit the power button. Usually everything works normally but there is no video signal. Since you have already checked the PSU with the universal tester and it seems to be working [plus Corsair is a quality brand] i do not suspect that is the problem.
From what i understand, some motherboards will not boot without a signal that a CPU cooler is plugged into the motherboards CPU fan header and spinning. That's just a guess but at this point you don't have may other options to try. You could also try clearing the CMOS and booting with no drives and 1 stick of RAM.

derigueur

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
It's unusual for the PC to do nothing when you hit the power button. Usually everything works normally but there is no video signal. Since you have already checked the PSU with the universal tester and it seems to be working [plus Corsair is a quality brand] i do not suspect that is the problem.
From what i understand, some motherboards will not boot without a signal that a CPU cooler is plugged into the motherboards CPU fan header and spinning. That's just a guess but at this point you don't have may other options to try. You could also try clearing the CMOS and booting with no drives and 1 stick of RAM.

derigueur

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
Yea I tried your latter suggestion and it's still the same outcome. For what it's worth I tried connecting my PCIe cables that usually connects into my gpu into the Dr. Power II and the 6pin cable returned a fault message. Anything to make of that?

"How do you know if a PSU fails a test? Using the DR. Power II it is very simple, while in any of the testing modes if you have a red window appear with beeps, then you have a failure. It can not get any easier than that. Of course I would double check all of the cables and connection to ensure that the fail screen was not caused by a poor connection. Now if you have a modular power supply you should check all of the cables as we have found a few single bad cables in the past. This also holds true to any non modular PSU so please check all the cable that can or are connected to your power supply. If all the connection are good and you still get a red failure screen then you know for sure that you have a bad power supply."

derigueur

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
"How do you know if a PSU fails a test? Using the DR. Power II it is very simple, while in any of the testing modes if you have a red window appear with beeps, then you have a failure. It can not get any easier than that. Of course I would double check all of the cables and connection to ensure that the fail screen was not caused by a poor connection. Now if you have a modular power supply you should check all of the cables as we have found a few single bad cables in the past. This also holds true to any non modular PSU so please check all the cable that can or are connected to your power supply. If all the connection are good and you still get a red failure screen then you know for sure that you have a bad power supply."

Yea that's the part I'm unsure of, the red side that states PCIe if I plug in an 8pin connector I get a fine message but when I plug I the 6 pin that's when I get an error. That's why I said I'm not sure if it's because not all of the pins are being filled like they would be with the 8 pin connector.

Yea that's the part I'm unsure of, the red side that states PCIe if I plug in an 8pin connector I get a fine message but when I plug I the 6 pin that's when I get an error. That's why I said I'm not sure if it's because not all of the pins are being filled like they would be with the 8 pin connector.
I would be surprised i the tester does not take that into account but you can always contact Thermaltake's "Technical Support" on their website to ask them directly.

derigueur

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
I would be surprised i the tester does not take that into account but you can always contact Thermaltake's "Technical Support" on their website to ask them directly.
https://pixhost.to/show/706/360327500_20230615_044422.jpg

I looked at the manual again and it appears it does in fact take into account whether the pin is 6 or 8.

So would the 6pin pcie slots potentially be capable of stopping the motherboard from booting up even if the 6pin isn't connected to anything which is what I did during my testing to find the source of the issue?

https://pixhost.to/show/706/360327500_20230615_044422.jpg

I looked at the manual again and it appears it does in fact take into account whether the pin is 6 or 8.

So would the 6pin pcie slots potentially be capable of stopping the motherboard from booting up even if the 6pin isn't connected to anything which is what I did during my testing to find the source of the issue?
Have you tried booting with only the 8-pin power cable plugged into the graphics card, leaving out the 2nd 6-pin cable?

derigueur

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2012
Have you tried booting with only the 8-pin power cable plugged into the graphics card, leaving out the 2nd 6-pin cable?
I've tried booting with the whole graphics card removed, I thought that would be better in general just to strip everything down to the bare bones. That too hasn't worked as nothing happens when I press the power button.

I've tried booting with the whole graphics card removed, I thought that would be better in general just to strip everything down to the bare bones. That too hasn't worked as nothing happens when I press the power button.
I think the only thing left for you to try is removing the motherboard from the case and try booting your setup outside of the case. It is possible something in your system is shorting on the case. Your PSU has "Short Circuit Protection" built in as a way to prevent damage to the other parts in your system. Your PC doing nothing when you press the power button could be your PSU doing it's job as it was designed.