Question PC won't POST after undervolting an RX 570 ?

Jul 18, 2024
Hello, I'm posting this on behalf of my friend whose blower-type RX570, after undervolting, won't post. He said it was fine at first and then the monitor seemingly disconnected from the gpu although the HDMI is still plugged in. It's worth noting that the card fans, on startup and in idle, were spinning. Now, it won't anymore. The fans at one point (after disconnecting) were spinning at their max speed, but nothing happens, no display or anything. I assisted him and did the following:

- reseat the card
- switch PCI-E cables
- clear CMOS

Did the undervolting brick his card?

This is the card.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2024
how did you do the undervolting? did you flash a modified VBIOS to the GPU or just by using a tool in windows (eventually which tool)?
He was using adrenalin I'm pretty sure, and no vbios modification was done. The drivers were just recently updated too

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
Or you can boot in safe mode, and use Display Driver Uninstaller - a software created to remove drivers and all traces from registries.
Just keep in mind when you are in safe mode and the computer announce you to restart computer - unplug your network cable from computer to prevent windows to install generic drivers from net.
Restart computer
Install your desired drivers and restart computer again.
Now you can plug back your network cable.

Reactions: eel9790X
Jul 18, 2024
Hello, I have tried all the given solutions, on the first try the gpu fans spun at max speed, the second attempt it booted to windows but only for a few seconds then it went out again. I also noticed that the gpu fans turned off the same moment the display went out, and they are supposed to always run even at idle.

Jul 18, 2024
Okay I have solved the issue now by doing the aforementioned steps, I just needed to hard reset my pc several times for it to happen, but it's okay now. Thank you for the help!

Jul 18, 2024
Okay I'm reopening this thread, yesterday when I booted it it was fine, and today I'm running into the same issue. I already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers to no avail, the card will shut down in the middle of something like browsing chrome. It also will display for a few seconds on startup then it will turn off. I don't know what's happening rn

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
OK.
Let;s rewind a bit.
You encountered this situation after you undervolted your card in OS (windows) using Adrenalin control panel.
Am i right?
In this case, we are talking about some software settings.
The best option right now is to take the video card to another system and test it there.
After some tests run on that system we can point to the card or on the contrary we can eliminate the card as the issue.
After we decide if the card is ok or not we discuss further.

Jul 18, 2024
Yes.
Unfortunately I don't have any other system to test it on. For the meantime I am reinstalling windows to remove any broken registries and will try again to install the drivers.

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
That was the last resort...after we eliminate the video card as the source.
But yeah, that will do the trick also.
Having the OS reinstalled from scratch and video drivers installed clean will eliminate the software glitch.

Jul 18, 2024
Okay so I have reinstalled windows, reinstalled drivers and everything seemed fine for the last hour that I was testing it by playing GTA 4.

Not until the gpu turned off and I was greeted by a black screen again. I'm starting to think it's a power problem, since my pc is connected to an extension, not directly from the outlet. And from the time that the gpu turned off, I was printing too.

For reference my PSU is a Superflower SF-500R12A which I think is plenty for an RX570

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
SuperFlower PSU are known for low quality and a lots of problems.
So...first you eliminate the extension cord that could be a problem.
After you test again your computer and printer but this time connected directly to the wall plug, then you will have an answer.
If the problem was eliminated then you have a faulty extension cord.
If the problem is still there, then you have a great chance that your PSU is making troubles.