Question PC won't post, fans blare, tried almost everything

lespretend

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
At first the pc would get to the loading windows screen then reboot, then boot fine into windows. Did this for about 3 days. After that when I powered it on the fans would just start going and no post, no display, and keyboard/mouse wouldn't even light up. Figured it was mobo so I got one. First power on it would do the normal 'fans blare but nothing' then on forced power off then on it would boot. Then it all happened again. Tried new ram and same deal (yes, I even tried reseating/using 1 slot at a time, etc and nothing changed) so I figured maybe there's a short in the case or something so I breadboxed it. First few power ons it wouldn't do anything. Afterwards the fans would go on and after a longer amount of time compared to a normal 'working' bootup I saw the keyboard/mouse lights going then it went into the bios. Turned off and put the ssd in and booted to windows. Figured since I had it all out to reseat/check the cpu. Put everyting back in the case and it booted up. Kept it going all day, played some games, everything was working just like normal. No higher temps than normal, no weird noises. Then I was watching a vid on Youtube and it just randomly shut off and tried to reboot; but it's back to the fans just going. I've done numerous cmos resets, even followed someones total cmos reset on this forum by pulling the battery out for like 10 mins, putting a jumper cap on the prongs, etc. Could it be the PSU? I had an old Diablotek 450w laying around (it's old and honestly not sure if it even works right) and it would still do the 'fans going but no post/display.'

CPU Ryzen 5 3600
GPU GTX 1660 Super OC edition
Mobo AsRock b450-HDV R4.0
RAM 16gb (2x8gb) G.Skill Ripjaws 3600
PSU EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 500 W1

Ram I had in when it started doing this, if it matters, was T-Force Vulcan Z 16gb(2x8gb) 3200

Nothing in this system is overclocked, I've even tried swapping out the 1660 with my old 1050Ti and same deal. Used the 1050Ti on the breadbox as it's lightweight and I know it still works (currently on my old pc, just swapped the sdd over here lol, it's so slow =( i7-870 ugh

EDIT: Original build ran for a little over a year

Last edited:
Looking at your motherboard support page, it says it is 'ryzen 2000 ready' which means it needs a BIOS update to run your 3600. Problem is, the board doesnt have BIOS Flash so you will need a 2000 series CPU in order to be able to update it.

lespretend

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2012
Looking at your motherboard support page, it says it is 'ryzen 2000 ready' which means it needs a BIOS update to run your 3600. Problem is, the board doesnt have BIOS Flash so you will need a 2000 series CPU in order to be able to update it.
Nah it came pre-updated for Ryzen 3000 cpus. My old mobo and new mobo are the same thing. They update it and slap the sticker on the box. It wouldn't have run for the Year+ to begin with if that weren't the case.

Reactions: kurdtnz