Question PC wont post intermittently

Oct 4, 2022
I just upgraded to a 5800x paired with a x570s Aorus Pro AX. I freshly installed windows and have updated all my driver using gigabytes utility @bios. My PC isnt booting every couple cycles and im thinking it is a bad board, when it boots it runs great and I have no issues. I've searched online for possible solutions but it leads toward faulty power supply which shouldn't be the case as the unit worked fine the day before the upgrade or faulty mother board, I have been using the PSU for about 5 years however on a previous I7 4770 with ASUS ROG board. Playing games on busy weeks 5-10 hours and weeks I have lots of time 20-30 hours. Other things I have tried is unplugging and resetting my PSU cables and also moving my ram to slots A2 B2 (they were in A1 B1 as per manual) just to be sure. Just curious if anyone has any tips or tricks for this issue before I return the board.

System
Ryzen & 5800x
X570S Aorus Pro AX
16gb Corsair running at 2133mhz
MSI GTX 970
EVGA Supernova 850W power supply
3- sata 1tb SSDs all about half full One Samsung, Two WD
1- 2TB HDD half full WD Black
Windows 10 home 64bit

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Not at all uncommon to do some upgrade and have problems occur.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Could be that some connection or other component is just a bit loose but tightens up due to heat and expansion after a couple of failed boot attempts.

Another possibility is that the PSU is nearing or at its' designing in EOL (End of Life). Reached some threshold condition where the PSU works fine at X watts but starting to falter and fail at X+ 1 watts.

Are you able to access BIOS and enable Verbose mode where the POST process displays what it is doing and what happens? Slows the POST some but might reveal some problem.

Reactions: freshchips
Oct 4, 2022
Not at all uncommon to do some upgrade and have problems occur.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Could be that some connection or other component is just a bit loose but tightens up due to heat and expansion after a couple of failed boot attempts.

Another possibility is that the PSU is nearing or at its' designing in EOL (End of Life). Reached some threshold condition where the PSU works fine at X watts but starting to falter and fail at X+ 1 watts.

Are you able to access BIOS and enable Verbose mode where the POST process displays what it is doing and what happens? Slows the POST some but might reveal some problem.

What should I be looking for when I boot, I have Disabled boot logo so it now shows me whats happening on boot. Also I don't think it will be heat expansion because even if I restart after its been running and warm it gives grief. I have an slightly used 600W EVGA power supply I might plug it in tomorrow when I have more time and try to see if it runs better that would make sense the PSU isnt used to the new higher load it may be doing something funky, I did not think of that thank you.

Last edited:

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
try to set the ram at stock, and not using any profile for it. it should show something like "2133 mhz"

i have the same problem with my build, randomly if the ram is set to 2900Mhz, it does not boot then after a min or two i get the message from my bios that it reverted to defaults because of a boot failure. Once on this screen i can then reload the whole setup I recorded before, and it works until the next few cold boots.
I have no problem ever if the ram is set to 2133

Oct 4, 2022
try to set the ram at stock, and not using any profile for it. it should show something like "2133 mhz"

i have the same problem with my build, randomly if the ram is set to 2900Mhz, it does not boot then after a min or two i get the message from my bios that it reverted to defaults because of a boot failure. Once on this screen i can then reload the whole setup I recorded before, and it works until the next few cold boots.
I have no problem ever if the ram is set to 2133

I just checked and it looks like its already at 2133mhz I should up date my post as I was just putting what the corsair package said.

Ralston18

Titan
The guiding document is the motherboard's User Guide/Manual along with the usual online motherboard QVLs (Qualified Vendor's List).

You must pay attention to details. Specs can change between versions and revisions.

There should be some listings of both the physical hardware requirements (specs) for RAM as well as supported physical installations. What slot or slot combinations of slots should be used is part of the documentation. Some motherboards require that the first physically install memory stick be place in a specific slot.

Errors can result in complete failure to boot, intermittent boots, and/or just problematic system performance.

Likely there is some small detail involved: some error of omission or commission.

The RAM for example: are those two modules (2 x 8GB) from a matched kit for dual channel use?

Take a close look at the RAM specs: Are they identical for each module? Take a look at other RAM manufacturers to compare the RAM specs for the RAM modules they list as supported by the motherboard. There will probably be discrepancies.

If the system is stable at 2133 MHz then just leave it at that. Running at 2900 may not gain much and even shorten any remaining life in the PSU and other components.

Keep your backups, as you always should be doing, up to date. At least 2 x and to locations away from the computer in question. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.