PC won't turn on after power outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

katsuai

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Hello all, as the title says my pc refuses to turn on at all after we had a few seconds of power outage this morning. It's a standard HP pavilion s3750t if that's any help. I don't know about any other specs but it's the standard factory ones except for the gpu which is Radeon HD 5450.

It worked fine the night before but now there's not even a light blinking. It's plugged in to a surge protector and it was asleep. Tried plugging it somewhere else but nada, and the other things plugged on the same strip works. I even tried a different power cord. Could it be a fried power supply?

Solution
katsuai,
afraid as if it is looking like your PSU is dead. I just looked on HP site for part, with no luck. Also looked at Spare Parts Warehouse - no PSU for that HP model in stock - looked at motherboard, which they did have - $373 (Yikes!). May be cheaper to buy a second hand PC to keep you going if you really need it.

EonW

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013
Could be the power supply - unfortunately, not all surge protectors are equal. Try it without going through the surge protector. Also (sounds daft, I know, ) did you check and change the fuses?

katsuai

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

No matter where I plug it in it doesn't work, and everything else in the house works. I plugged in my laptop in the same outlet and it works. I had a look at it again, though, and I realized that there's a green light in the back.

EonW

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013
Is the green light ON the PSU or inside the case. Power is obviously flowing, but not getting through. I still suspect the PSU, though if the motherboard is fried, that is as bad - or worse!

katsuai

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Light is on psu, it's a small steady green light. Crap, I hope it's not the motherboard because I can't afford repairs or a new one and my laptop has its own issues.

EonW

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013
+1 to ko888. That's why the PSU wattage calculators always suggest adding 20% or so to the 'capacitor aging' section. Also HP (and others) would like you to change your PC from time to time.

EonW

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013

The lights may be on but no-one is home. I had a PSU which showed a nice red light, but was defunct. Do you have a computer minded friend that may have a spare (similar) PSU about? If so, then you could test whether it is that or the motherboard.

EonW

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013
katsuai,
afraid as if it is looking like your PSU is dead. I just looked on HP site for part, with no luck. Also looked at Spare Parts Warehouse - no PSU for that HP model in stock - looked at motherboard, which they did have - $373 (Yikes!). May be cheaper to buy a second hand PC to keep you going if you really need it.

Solution

katsuai

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll have to get a psu for now and see how it goes.

EonW

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2013

Good luck.Hope it works out fine.

Jimmydafreak

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Although replacing the power supply will fix the problem, there is nothing wrong with your power supply or your computer. This will happen every single time you lose power with an Asus MB. Unplug the computer and hold the power button in for 10-30 seconds. Usually you will hear a popping sound when the MB discharges.

If that doesn't work, unplug the 24-pin connector from the power supply to the motherboard. Again, you will hear a pop when the motherboard discharges. Reconnect the 24-pin connector, and the computer will start normally. Because disconnecting the 24-pin connector fixes the issue, that is why replacing the power supply (completely unnecessary) will also solve the problem.

Jayvenkman

Reputable
Jun 23, 2015

Hi there. I was reading this post abd was hoping you had some insight for me. Power went off for a sec and pc won't turn on. I tried resetting. I have the psu unplugged but the I have my phone plugged into it and it's still charging. I don't get it. I tried resetting and didn't hear a pop or anything. Please help I have the new Batman game to play! Any thoughts would be great

Jesse_16

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015

5ketchy3nginr

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Jimmydafreak thanks.
after a few second outage, pc with gb mobo shutdown. Pushed in power with cord out for 30secs heard the pop. Still didnt work, after removing and sticking back the 24pin dc. It frikkin worked! The combo did the trick for me.

JHarris09

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
It was storming here a little bit ago and there was a big strike of lightning that shut the power off for a split second, and now my PC won't start up.
I've gone through the steps JimmydaFreak has listed, but it still isn't turning on.
I hear nothing/nothing happens when I unplug the computer and hold down the power button, but I do hear the pop when I unplug the 24-pin connector. When I plug it back in, it acts like it is going to start, but won't. If I plug it in 3 quarters of the way, all my fans spin and it makes a clicking sound, but when I plug it all the way in, it just goes dead. Is my PSU done, or am I just not doing something right?

Also, the light from my GPU is on and stays on unless I unplug the power. Don't know if this means the PSU is completely intact or not though.

Forgot to mention, I have an ASRock MB, not an ASUS.

Pavilion 21 Erro bro

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
Hey Any signs of Jimmy the mega Genius?? Lol I have a similar issue with my Pavilion 21 only there was no actual "Power outage" But rather I simply turned off the power strip the computer was connected to while the computer was in Sleep Mode with a few apps in the background(Not sure that matters) Anyways any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff_111

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

Could be the CMOS battery.They are about $2 or $3

Mike_296

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

You, sir, are a beautiful human being. A year later and you saved me so much money. I was planning on throwing parts at my custom pc until your amazing suggestion. And I don't even have an Asus MOBO.

ester-kyn

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.