[SOLVED] Pc won't Turn on, was working fine last night

Apr 25, 2020
4 months ago I got a new CPU, motherboard, and ram, and everything has been working fine since. This morning however it suddenly won't turn on but my motherboard pwr led light is on. When I push the power button none of the fans spin and the LED on my AIO flashes for a second. When I unplug the power cable and plug it back in a led on my motherboard flashes for a second and goes away.

I've tried the jumper test on my PSU and it seems to be fine, the fan spins, I've also tested a different PSU with my system and same problems from before occur (although I don't really trust the second PSU I tested).

Any thoughts on what my problem is?

My specs

Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cpu: Intel Core i7-8700k
GPU: EVGA superclocked GTX 1070
Ram: G skill tridentZ 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz
Power supply : EVGA supernova NEX650G
Storage : Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe

Last edited:
Solution
If your build has integrated graphics then pull the GPU and try iGPU.

I took out my graphic card and tried running the pc and it worked fine, but after putting the GPU back in it won't start

edit: I tried putting a different graphics card in and my pc works fine so is it a dead graphics card?

Ralston18

Titan
I would lean towards a PSU problem.

This:

"a led on my motherboard flashes for a second and goes away."

Use the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual to identify the LED and what it indicates.

And try to install a PSU that you trust. I.e. "known working". Just as a matter of elimination.

Are you overclocking?

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Jumper test is only a very basic test. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it. Or have an available family member or friend who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Again not a full test as the PSU is not under load. However, any out of spec voltages may be revealing.

Test both PSUs.

Apr 25, 2020

I took out my graphic card and tried running the pc and it worked fine, but after putting the GPU back in it won't start

edit: I tried putting a different graphics card in and my pc works fine so is it a dead graphics card?

Last edited:
Solution

Ralston18

Titan
That would be a reasonable conclusion.

One more step/test: Try the GPU in another known working computer. If the GPU fails there then the GPU is probably dead.

However, I say "probably" because sometimes a bump, wiggling components, cleaning contacts, etc. could revive the GPU.

What I would do is just that; try it in a known working computer. If it does not work, remove. "Bump", "wiggle", gently press components and try again in that same computer. If the GPU revives then well and good.

You might discover that a small tap in a certain spot makes it work again for awhile.

Sort of anyway. No telling how long that "fix" will truly last. A loose wire might be securable and provide a more permanent solution.

GPU might be worth saving as an emergency spare, or for future testing, Especially if you live somewhere where components can be difficult to obtain.

Saving it does not take much space - just include the documentation and some notes about the problem(s) and fix. No harm in that.

Apr 25, 2020
One more step/test: Try the GPU in another known working computer. If the GPU fails there then the GPU is probably dead.

However, I say "probably" because sometimes a bump, wiggling components, cleaning contacts, etc. could revive the GPU.

What I would do is just that; try it in a known working computer. If it does not work, remove. "Bump", "wiggle", gently press components and try again in that same computer. If the GPU revives then well and good.

I tried installing the graphics card in my brother's computer this morning and his PC was having the same issues so it's definitely the card.

thank you so much for your suggestions otherwise, I probably would have spent way too long googling wrong solutions

as for the card, I'll probably end up messing around with it to see if I can get it to work while I wait for my new one to ship.

Again thank you so much.