G

hi eveyone
i will soon be upgrading to a tbird 1000 with asus a7v mb i also want to know is pc150 kingmax compatable with the mb any answers greatly appreciated.

G

A good analogy to remember is that a faster car can always go slower and a slow car cannot go faster than it's top speed. PC150 refers to the memory's top speed. It will have no problem running at 133 MHZ. If you have motherboard that will let you do this, you can up the FSB speed and the memory will be stable enough to operate at the rated 150 MHz. Go to KingMax's web site and read their liitle blurb. It shows you that the reason they rate their memory so high is because it has very low noise. And in actuality, all memory can physically operate at 150 even 200 Mhz, it's just that noise levels get so high that the memory becomes unstable and unreliable in terms of storing data and then retreiving that same data back. The signals get all messed up. I just bought some of that Kingmax myself, but have not tried to overclock with it yet even though my mobo will allow it. The reason being that I still have my older memory in there that will choke if I run it higher than it's rated speed.

I'm surprised that I don't see more talk about this memory as it really is an improvement over the older structure. It runs cooler with less noise. How can you go wrong? The real question is: is the extra 27 MHz worth the slow down from CAS2 to CAS3?

- Every private citizen has a public responsibility

G

what is the pc150 kingmax? sorry that is a dumb question i don't want to get flamed or anything but i just don't understand what FSB is yet and what it does. i think it's front serial bus and i think it transfers data but i don't understand to where and what it's exact function is. and can u buy different speed FSB's? is that why there is 133 and150 mhz?

G

General Knowledge time...
Kingmax refers to the manufacturer of this type of memory. They claim it can operate at 150 MHz Front Side Bus speed. The front side bus speed is the speed at which the processor communicates with the system memory (the RAM). Back side bus is the PCI bus, the bus which your PCI cards communicate across with the system memory. This bus speed is 33 Mhz. An AGP bus operates at 66 MHz.

Generally, older processors have a slower FSB speed and newer processors have the faster FSB speeds. You can't buy the same chip with different FSB speeds. If you did, they would be different chips. The PC100, PC133, and PC66 are all specifications written so that multiple kinds of processors can talk with RAM from many different manufacturers. Basically, all the manufacturers agree on how the RAM will work and how the processor should "talk" with it. By doing this, there is a standard set and everybody follows it. That's why you can't use memory made for an Apple computer in a PC. It's built to a different specification. By having a standard, prices go lower too because then volumes go up. The more volume, the less price per unit cost.

Anyway. PC150 is actually memory built to the PC133 specification that has been "overclocked". I guess you could call PC133 memory "overclocked" PC100 memory too when you get down to it. But the reason it is an overclocked FSB speed is because there are no motherboards built to an actual PC150 spec. There are motherboards out there that will allow you to overclock the FSB speed. By using one of these mobos you could then take advantage of this memory's excellent stability at the higher speed. If you don't have an overclockable motherboard then it is going to run at whatever your default processor FSB speed is.

By saying that the memory can handle 150 MHz, you are saying that it has more tolerance for the noise that the higher speeds make.

G

so what exactly is a bus? something that transfers data? i get the difference between front and back now thanks :)

oh if i were to identify a "bus" in my computer what is it physically? a cord or a what i dont' really understand what a bus acutally is ( i might be totally missing the point of a bus ) lol :) thanks for informing

G

Tank, read the BIOS that came with your mobo, and all other manuals that came with all your individual hardware. Read it 10 tims if you must, thats what I did every year when I get new comp.

also read toms old articles all listed in "MORE RELEASES"

It all goes back to late 1996. I only started reading heavily in 98 and took alot of time to read everything back to late 1996.

By the time you finish reading them, you will be a real pro.

It will probably take you a few months doing nothing but reading to read every single article.

I would concentrate heavily on CPU, mobo, graphics

Best regards
cx5

G

Why bother with 1000Mhz and A7V?

Wait another month for DDR mobo and 266FSB t-bird lah!!!

Although I also have A7V with Duron 650 o/c to 900

I would have waited if not because of my university work. :(

I want DDR 500Mhz, dual channeling!!!!!!!!! 500Mhz FSB and so on.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards
cx5

G

the BIOS will explain what a "bus" physically is? i am especially wondering cause i don't understand how the new P4 is 100 mhz FSB but quad pumped. quad PUmped through what? i just don't undestand that :( and i am starting tonight looking through old articles :)

G

A bus is pathway through which data travels. It's like a big multilane highway through your computer with many on and off ramps. You can't physically see it really, unless you look at the traces of metal throughout your motherboard. A bus is different than a regular power cord or something because there is actual communication between components. To communicate over a bus the component needs to know the "language". This is what differentiates it from a any other regular wire.

G

Quad pumped means that for every one clock cycle, four bits of data can be moved. A single pumped clock cycle means that only one bit of data per clock cycle can be moved. To understand how this can be done, you have to take a digital design course in college.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you sure that anolgy is correct? I understood it as this. Single pumped transmit data only on the positve side of the Wave cycle. Double pumped transmits data on both the positive and negative sides of the wave cycle. Quad pumped transmits data on the rising and falling edges of the positive along with the rising and falling edges of the negative cycle. This is an over symplistic explanation but is this not how it actually works? And this if it is the case is why we will never see say a 8 pumped fsb.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

We're saying the same thing here. You are right, it all has to do with the edges of the clock cycle. I don't know how quad pumped works actually, but the double pumped (rising and falling edge of the clock) you are right on the money. You might be correct about the quad pumped clock stuff, but wouldn't that still be double pumped? The falling edge of a positive cycle is the same thing as the leading edge of a negative cycle in my mind. I'm thinking that there might be two clocks out of phase with each other that use both the rising and falling edges to transmit data. If it's done this way, you may be able to get octo-pumped memory, but damn, that would be very hard to make reliably.

G

who out there really knows how this works?