Question PCI 4.0 vs 3.0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Looked up the PCI 4.0 and from what I read its something to do with faster transfers? Is there an implication for gaming with PCI 4.0? And is there much point forking out extra £100 odd pounds for a MOBO that has it for strictly gaming?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well need the SATA3 and extra ram slots for a start, just better features than my old one. And I can push my processor and ram more than on old one. And I can put my old mobo into my other pc and try fixing it.
An A320 board does have SATA 3, how many drives do you have? And how much RAM that you need? If you have 8 and want to upgrade to 16, you're probably better off selling your old kit and buying a new kit, rather than trying to add to your old stuff.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
An A320 board does have SATA 3, how many drives do you have? And how much RAM that you need? If you have 8 and want to upgrade to 16, you're probably better off selling your old kit and buying a new kit, rather than trying to add to your old stuff.

I got 4 drives 3 SSD's and 1 HDD can only use two of the ports on A320 as one is blocked by GPU. And I already got other ram to put in. Though its not the same brand. Also I got it for future 4000 series cpus and the ability to overclock them.

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I see, that's unfortunate, didn't know having your graphics card blocking your SATA ports was a thing. Is it possible you could solve just by getting some SATA cables with right angle connectors or something?

Just an FYI, RAM that is purchases separately is not guaranteed to by compatible, even if it has the same specs. It could work fine, but there's a chance you'll have stability issues.

Regarding upgrading for the sake of Ryzen 4k, I'd think it'd make a lot more sense to simply wait and get a board when you're ready to get a new CPU.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Well even with a special connector id still not get my other ssd on and I think it would be too tight anyway. Yeah the board was badly designed or didn't account for the size of future GPUS. Well I got a special deal so thought id get it now. I know I could have done without it but still I get to put old Mobo on other pc.

InvalidError

Titan
Yeah the board was badly designed or didn't account for the size of future GPUS.
Nah, the "size of future GPUs" is a nonsensical excuse when you consider that single-card dual-GPUs from many years ago were twice as large as modern-day Titan GPUs. Those 500-600W triple-slot monsters (ex.: HD295x2) with heatsinks that extend so far into the case that they typically required removing drive cages and even front fans to fit, along with support brackets to help with the excessive weight and length.

Having to maintain slot-height clearance and avoiding connectors across the board for the GPU slot and one or two slots below should be very old news to any motherboard manufacturer who's been around for more than a few years, which is all of 'em.

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Nah, the "size of future GPUs" is a nonsensical excuse when you consider that single-card dual-GPUs from many years ago were twice as large as modern-day Titan GPUs. Those 500-600W triple-slot monsters (ex.: HD295x2) with heatsinks that extend so far into the case that they typically required removing drive cages and even front fans to fit, along with support brackets to help with the excessive weight and length.

Having to maintain slot-height clearance and avoiding connectors across the board for the GPU slot and one or two slots below should be very old news to any motherboard manufacturer who's been around for more than a few years, which is all of 'em.

I guess someone dropped the ball with this A320 then haha. I like how most modern ones have like 6 to 8 sata3's on the edge of the board to the right way out of the way of the GPU or other cables.

InvalidError

Titan
I guess someone dropped the ball with this A320 then haha.
For more budget-oriented boards, manufacturers don't put as much thought and effort into accommodating over-sized add-in boards as the general expectation is that most people going with entry-level motherboards will use an APU or lowish-end GPU.

Not as much of a concern with boards that have their connectors in-plane with the board along the edges.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hey,

I’m planing on getting two M.2 SSDs.

One Corsair MP600 pcie 4 for games and storage. 500GB

and a XPG SX8200 pro 256GS for OS

OR

Just one One Corsair MP600 pcie 4. 1 Terabyte for everithing?

Don't simply ask a question in a random unrelated thread from a year ago. Start your own thread in the appropriate location with all the details of your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.