Question PCI Cable in Motherboard OC 4 Pin Connector / what have i done

Sep 2, 2024
Hi Guys,

all 3- 5 years i upgrade my pc myself.

i just bought asus x670 p Wifi with 7800x3d to ugrade my old intel.

It was late and i was stressed. i Found an "extra" 4 pin ( atx-12v-2) next to the normal one and connected a pci cable. Yes it fit perfect... -.-

After starting zero fans were running - but the pci cable smoked / melted fast and i cut off power. Atx / PCi plug burnt together a bit. Cbale 5 cm burnd together (only + / power)

Plug them off, fixed burnd cables and startet. Pc is fast and running.

But if i want to do a restart, it wont work. Have to push power / force off when he is trying to restart after a while.

Armoury crate update not working. Bios update not working. Sometimes 1 long 3 short beeps (Gpu?)

Question: Did i break something? Or do i have seperate Problems? Customer Support / warranty is gone i think ;-)

Thank you guys! Sry for my english.

regards PrvtCowboy

pictures imgur

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2024
Hi, thank you!

Its an Corsair TX850W Model CMPSU-850TX, i think 2009.... And yes, the plastic is very old, i needed to fold very hard / 90 degrees, no space under aio. something broke? perhaps that was the main problem...?

Last edited:
Did i break something? Or do i have seperate Problems?
if there was smoke and melted cables, definitely!

continuing to use this PSU could cause some very heavy damage to the rest of connected components.

i would remove this thing asap and get another unit.
if i want to do a restart, it wont work. Have to push power / force off when he is trying to restart after a while.

Armoury crate update not working. Bios update not working. Sometimes 1 long 3 short beeps (Gpu?)
it's possible that motherboard and/or other components are already damaged.

2009....warranty is gone i think
15 years later, for sure.

Sep 2, 2024
Hi,

as you said, Mobo etc could be damaged.
I ordered a new Mobo & PSU. Money saves my dumbness.

Thank you!

Main Question: How got the MoBo damaged? I just want to understand the technical site what happend.. Sure it got "wrong power".

1633895293735-png.1132282

i connected the atx 12v with the the 4 right pins from 6 pin PCie. Matched perfectly. Both are 12v?

There was too much power / heat? But does the atx need "more" power as the PCIe could give? How could "small" Pcie be too much and damage more then themselve?

In a german Forum i read the only bad thing that could happen is cable damage because of security off from PSU. Perhaps they talk about newer Psus ;-)

Sorry for my interest in things i dont really understand ;-)

Thank you for enlighten me!

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
Hi,

Thank you!

Main Question: How got the MoBo damaged? I just want to understand the technical site what happend.. Sure it got "wrong power".

i connected the atx 12v with the the 4 right pins from 6 pin PCie. Matched perfectly. Both are 12v?

There was too much power / heat? But does the atx need "more" power as the PCIe could give? How could "small" Pcie be too much and damage more then themselve?

In a german Forum i read the only bad thing that could happen is cable damage because of security off from PSU. Perhaps they talk about newer Psus ;-)

If that is the case, it looks like you matched the +12v wires from the ATX cable to the ground connectors on the PCI cable. Meaning that you are running the live wire through the ground connector on the hardware. It looks like it may have shorted at the destination and super heated the wire enough to melt.

Hi,

Thank you!

It was wrong polarity that's a killer for electronics working on DC current. Read and understand those darn manuals before you start anything. even after 40 odd years with PCs, I get and read manuals for all parts even before buying them as they show all quirks that my be encountered.

Why would you do that?
If something fits, it doesn't necessary mean, it belongs there.
You inverted wires for +12V and ground and shorted them.
It's essentially the same as sticking both ends of the same wire into a power socket.

Edit: For any kids reading this - don't do that. It's stupid and dangerous.

danger-power-outlet-day-light-electrician-singapore-replace-electrical-services_wm.jpg

Last edited: