[SOLVED] PCI cord for old power supply to new graphics card

Dec 18, 2020
I have an old (but still works well) OCZ 600MXSP power supply and am upgrading my other components. My brother is helping me, please excuse my ignorance. I need to get a PCI cord that is compatible with my power supply and the new video card. The new video card has 6 plus 8 pins. The power supply has a lot of empty 8 pin slots.

So do I need to get an 8 pin to 6 plus 8? Do they even make those? Am I even making any sense?

Any help/clarification would be much appreciated. The new card is my brother's old card so there is no box and I don't know what make/model it is, all it says on it is "power color" - he's not able to help me at the moment but told me I needed a new cord to connect these.

Do I need to just get a new power supply instead of trying to find a compatible PCI cord?

Solution
Need to get original cables or have them made for your specific unit. Don't buy generic off the shelf cables because psu pinout diagrams don't follow a standard and differ from brand to brand. Meaning +/- pins aren't always in the same spots. Original cables are specifically designed for the psu it's meant for. Any modular cable, PCIe, Sata, Cpu 12v, Atx etc, that you can physically plug cannot be used on other psu's. Many have found out the hard way.

Contact Moddiy, they'll have the diagram to suit your psu.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/OCZ...ar-PSU-Sleeved-PCIe-8-Pin-to-6-Pin-Cable.html

If they cannot, and if can't find 2nd hand original cables, it would be best buying a new psu. Corsair CX 550w for...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Need to get original cables or have them made for your specific unit. Don't buy generic off the shelf cables because psu pinout diagrams don't follow a standard and differ from brand to brand. Meaning +/- pins aren't always in the same spots. Original cables are specifically designed for the psu it's meant for. Any modular cable, PCIe, Sata, Cpu 12v, Atx etc, that you can physically plug cannot be used on other psu's. Many have found out the hard way.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/OCZ...ar-PSU-Sleeved-PCIe-8-Pin-to-6-Pin-Cable.html

If they cannot, and if can't find 2nd hand original cables, it would be best buying a new psu. Corsair CX 550w for example.

Would be good to know what gpu you have but im guessing 550w would most likely be enough.

Reactions: Fuzzysweater
Solution
Dec 18, 2020

If they cannot, and if can't find 2nd hand original cables, it would be best buying a new psu. Corsair CX 550w for example.

Would be good to know what gpu you have but im guessing 550w would most likely be enough.

ok thanks, so are you saying that for example https://www.moddiy.com/products/EVG...-PSU-8-Pin-to-8-Pin-and-6-Pin-PCIE-Cable.html would not work as that is only an EVGA cord? You're saying that I literally need to contact them and have them create the cord right?

Might be better to just get a new power supply. Do they come with PCI cords that would work with any modern graphics card?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Correct. Evga cables are meant for Evga psu's, only. Even then, models can also change from the same brand. Might get lucky but wouldn't risk it.

Moddiy do seem to offer cables for your psu though.

Power supplies come with all necessary cables including for the graphics card. Your job is to identify how many PCIe cables you need and get a psu that fits your requirements. Corsair Cx 550w comes 2x 6+2 PCIe cables.

I would find out exactly what graphics card you have so you can make an informed decision.

In my signature is a psu tier list guide to help choosing a psu if Corsair isn't available to you. Ideally something from Tier A or B.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuzzysweater
Dec 18, 2020
Correct. Evga cables are meant for Evga psu's, only. Even then, models can also change from the same brand. Might get lucky but wouldn't risk it.

Moddiy do seem to offer cables for your psu though.

Power supplies come with all necessary cables including for the graphics card. Your job is to identify how many PCIe cables you need and get a psu that fits your requirements. Corsair Cx 550w comes 2x 6+2 PCIe cables.

I would find out exactly what graphics card you have so you can make an informed decision.

In my signature is a psu tier list guide to help choosing a psu if Corsair isn't available to you. Ideally something from Tier A or B.

ok bro just got back to me and it's an amd r9 290x. He is saying I just need another 6+2 pin. I still need to ensure it's for OCZ though right.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes that's right. Not any from Amazon, ebay or any store. It's not as simple as it sounds just getting another 6+2 cable even if available to buy, it needs to be exact for your psu specifically.

Have you tried searching for the cables? Might be in a box somewhere.

Cables with red ends on them. Assuming they would be the only cables you find :)
17-341-017-39.jpg

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS