[SOLVED] PCI-e Slots 1 and 2 advice

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I have a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard with three PCI-e slots. Right now I have a Vega 56 in the 1st slot.

I am trying to get an 8x PCI card to work, and I want to try it in the 1st slot, seeing if that helps, moving my video card to the 2nd slot.

I think the motherboard descends from x16, x8, x4. Unfortunately this is not something I have paid a lot of attention to.

Will my Vega 56 be limited to 8x if I move it to the 2nd slot? If so, what will that really mean?

Thanks

Solution
I have a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard with three PCI-e slots. Right now I have a Vega 56 in the 1st slot.

I am trying to get an 8x PCI card to work, and I want to try it in the 1st slot, seeing if that helps, moving my video card to the 2nd slot.

I think the motherboard descends from x16, x8, x4. Unfortunately this is not something I have paid a lot of attention to.

Will my Vega 56 be limited to 8x if I move it to the 2nd slot? If so, what will that really mean?

Thanks
X8 vs X16 with a GTX 1080 (better card than the V56)
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

EDIT what kind of X 8 card are you trying to use?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks
X8 vs X16 with a GTX 1080 (better card than the V56)
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

EDIT what kind of X 8 card are you trying to use?

Last edited:
Solution

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Adaptec 6805T

It is a RAID card, and I am just trying to make use of two 3GB SAS drives I bough5t by mistake a few years ago. Trying it in the 1st pci-e slot was next on my list of troubleshooting it. I was working on it in the fall and just got frustrated and let it sit for a while.

It was recommended as a cheap Windows 10 option, with some bugs, so I gave it a go. But I ran into some problems.