PCI vs. PCIe TV tuner card?

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I'm building a computer. I have an MSI K9N2 Diamond motherboard with an AMD 9950, 4G of Mushkin 1066. The motherboard does not have onboard sound, so it comes with a PCIe sound card, eating the only PCIe x1 slot, leaving three PCIe x16s. I want to get a tuner card (I'm looking at Hauppauge's WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE), but I'd rather not use up another PCIe slot if I can help it; I need one for a SCSI boot drive and one for a graphics card, and if I put the tuner in the last one I'll have hit the wall. There are three PCI slots just sitting there looking lonely. My question is whether the difference in speed between PCI and PCIe is going to make any difference with a tuner card that will be used to record HDTV off the air and capture analogue video from a stone-age Handycam.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hmmm. Thanks, I didn't know that card existed. Two problems, though--I kinda want the GeForce 8800 because I might want to SLI two of them, and I'm boycotting ATI because my old TVWonder VE produced proprietary mp2 video files that won't play on anything but their POS player that doesn't work, either.

dugiehowsa

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
Check out the reviews over at www.missingremote.com . Discussions there seem to suggest there is no difference between PCI and PCI-E. I personally can attest that I tried a VistaView Saber DA-1N1-I and could not get it to work in a Windows XP (SP2 and SP3) system. I am still on the hunt for a low profile PCI card. I've read a few things about the DVICO FusionHDTV7, and I have not been given the warm fuzzy enough to go out and buy the card.