Question PCIe Firewire Card prevents PC from booting -- at my wits end

Apr 30, 2024
I've been spending the last couple of days struggling to install an IEEE 1394 firewire card (this is the exact one: https://a.co/d/0uTo1xx).

I put it into the PCIe express slot (I don't have another one besides the one for my graphics card, so I can't try other slots), and the computer fails to POST. Sometimes I can get it to the lock-screen, then promptly BSOD: NMI_HARDWARE_FAILURE. But usually, it just never boots up. PC works perfectly fine when I take the card out.

I've read most of what's on the internet on this, and here's what I've tried:
- reseating the PCIe card.
- uninstalling the IEEE 1394 device in device manager
- installing the IEEE 1394 legacy driver. I followed this guide and can get to step 11, but the problem is after I "update" to the legacy driver, the driver stays the same as "VIA 1394 OHCI..."
- physically blocking the B5 and B6 pins on the PCIe card with scotch tape to deal with the SMBUS issue
- many solutions online suggested BIOS settings to change, but I didn't seem to have any of the bios options in those suggestions.

Please help! I need saving.

Specs:
my PC is an HP Compaq Elite 8300 Convertible Minitower
Windows 10 x64
Intel Q77 Express chipset
GTX 1050ti

Apr 30, 2024
the chipset only have x8 pcie lane.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03347207.pdf
which slot are you using for the gpu? try with the gpu out?
This is an exact image of my MB I found online. I've marked where my GPU is and where I'm trying to install the firewire.

Ck4k6wC.png

I just realized the white slot next to the GPU even existed, cause my GPU is hanging over it blocking it. I guess I'll try putting the 1050ti in the x4 slot, and the firewire in the x16?

Apr 30, 2024
This is an exact image of my MB I found online. I've marked where my GPU is and where I'm trying to install the firewire.

Ck4k6wC.png

I just realized the white slot next to the GPU even existed, cause my GPU is hanging over it blocking it. I guess I'll try putting the 1050ti in the x4 slot, and the firewire in the x16?
This ended up working. First attempt cause the computer to power off almost immediately, I tried again and everything went through. Hoping it stays this way...

Reactions: rgd1101