[SOLVED] PCIe firewire incompatibility with new system

Hardminder

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Hi everyone, it's my first post here so thank you all for your time.

I just built a nice little Ryzen system for audio production. Everything worked great, the OS was running smoothly, nothing to complain about. I installed all my softwares/plugins etc. before hooking it to my audio interface, keyboard and other music gear. My audio interface is Firewire and the motherboard I have has no firewire ports so I connected the PCIe firewire I've been using with my old system. And that's where the fun began. No video signal on my monitors, my GPU fans are spinning but not signal. I tried 3 different GPUs, one that's really basic and therefore probably requires minimal power, same issue. I've tried plugging the card while the system is running (probably not the smartest idea) and it just shut down instantly, BEFORE I plugged the 4-pin power connector which lead me to believe it might not be a PSU issue.

The system still works fine without the firewire card AND the firewire card will work in this system but without display.

According to an online PSU calculator, mine should be able to run my system.

Do you think a PCI instead of PCIe firewire card could solve the problem? Any other thoughts? I'm out of idea.

Mobo : Asus Prime X-570P
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800-X
GPU : Nvidia GTX 1050ti Dual fan
Memory : 2x16gb RAM
Storage : 2x1tb M.2
PSU : EVGA 500BQ

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Solution
First step would be to simply remove the FIrewire card....(never insert any card intentionally while the mainboard is on)

You can disconnect storage, as now not relevant to getting a display...

you might try pulling the BIOS battery...

YOu may be forced to check your PSU in another rig to confirm it is ok, but, certainly the mainboard and/or PSU were vulnerable to the attempted hot-swap of a PCI-e card....

(Do you have a link to the Firewire card that was used? Just wanted to read up a bit on it's specs)
First step would be to simply remove the FIrewire card....(never insert any card intentionally while the mainboard is on)

YOu may be forced to check your PSU in another rig to confirm it is ok, but, certainly the mainboard and/or PSU were vulnerable to the attempted hot-swap of a PCI-e card....

(Do you have a link to the Firewire card that was used? Just wanted to read up a bit on it's specs)

Solution

Hardminder

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020

Thanks for your reply.
First, I forgot to mention, the system is working fine, still, without the firewire card. It just shut down when I hot-plugged it. I get a display when the card isn't there, that's not an issue. The problem is that I can't get the GPU and firewire card to work alongside each other. I'm looking for an alternative to make it work.

The PCIe card :
https://www.siig.com/dp-firewire-2-port-pcie.html

Thanks again

Jan 7, 2020
Been waiting for these questions to pop up...
Just built a threadripper 3970x on a asus zenith 2 extreme MOBO.
Tried two different firewire cards.. the computer wont even boot up... it stops before BIOS. doesnt matter what I do... or what settings I try in BIOS that I've found on google.

TRENDING THREADS