Question PcieX16 Problems

Aug 16, 2023
Hello !
So, some time ago my old GPU (PNY GTX 770 4GB) died while I was playing valorant and it took me a while to get a new one.
In the mean time a friend of mine gave me his old gpu so I could test it out it was a 9800GT, I installed it in the pciex16 slot and it worked just fine, the pc recognized it, so i just assumed that it really was my old one that died.
The thing is, now I got a GTX 1660 ti OC edition, and tried using it in the pciex16 slot but it simply wouldn't work, the fans would turn on just fine but I got no image from either hdmi or dp ports, and wouldn't show up in windows device manager aswell. Since my MB has a PcieX4 port I tried installing it there and it worked just fine, I read online that for this GPU it wouldn't impact performance as much, but it got me thinking what was the problem since the old 9800gt was working just fine on that PCIex16.
Any Ideas ? Is the problem in the pciex16 slot or is it the 1660 ti ?

PC SPECS
MB: Gigabyte z87-hd3 (BIOS PC4)
CPU: i5 4670k
RAM: 2x8gb 1333mhz
GPU: Gigabyte gtx 1660ti oc
PSU: Corsair CX 750W

Note: Everything with the exception of the 1660 ti was bought a long time ago (2014).
And sorry if a similar problem was already posted, I couldn't find it

According to the motherboard manufacturer's site, found HERE, there are two PCI-E x16 slots onboard, one being 3.0 and one being 4.0 Sorry I misread that part. With the card in question being rated PCI-E x16 3.0 (Specs Here), did you try the card in BOTH slots and get the same result? Might need to fully remove graphics drivers and try again.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023
According to the motherboard manufacturer's site, found HERE, there are two PCI-E x16 slots onboard, one being 3.0 and one being 4.0. With the card in question being rated PCI-E x16 3.0 (Specs Here), did you try the card in BOTH slots and get the same result? Might need to fully remove graphics drivers and try again.
Hey ! Thanks for answering !
So from the link you sent (the MB one) it is actually:

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
(The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)

Not sure where you saw that it had one PCIEX16 4.0 ? Am I missing something ?
So I tried using it on the first one PCIEX16 (3.0) and it won't work or get recognized by the PC (Fans work though)

Right now I'm using it in the second one and it works just fine:
"2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)"

Hey ! Thanks for answering !
So from the link you sent (the MB one) it is actually:

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
(The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)

Not sure where you saw that it had one PCIEX16 4.0 ? Am I missing something ?
So I tried using it on the first one PCIEX16 (3.0) and it won't work or get recognized by the PC (Fans work though)

Right now I'm using it in the second one and it works just fine:
"2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)"
I updated my post...sorry. It's early here.

Like I mentioned, might try fully removing and reinstalling the graphics drivers and see if anything changes with the first slot. It's not likely the PCI-E slot is bad unless it's a last resort.

Reactions: JumpNelson
Aug 16, 2023
I updated my post...sorry. It's early here.

Like I mentioned, might try fully removing and reinstalling the graphics drivers and see if anything changes with the first slot. It's not likely the PCI-E slot is bad unless it's a last resort.
Yeah no problem :)
Will try doing that in a moment and update when possible
EDIT: So tried removing and reinsalling graphics drivers and no good, pc still won't recognize the gpu on the main pciex16

Last edited: