Peakago 7-inch Mini Laptop Hands-On: Know When to Fold ‘Em

mikeebb

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
Sounds like a smaller, very slightly more modern version of my old RCA 10" 2-in-1. At least mine came with normal-mode Win10 Home, not S. And it's a legitimate machine for cases where portability wins over all else. It's not a laptop or even close to a laptop replacement, and IMO 7" is just too small. I will grant that even Android doesn't power many tablets in that size range any more.

Info not in the review that has been a problem with mine:
  1. battery life? (Mine is 3-4 hours depending on how much CPU gets used and how much networking.) Apple, the few Android still around, and the 10" Surface do much better.
  2. support? ("RCA" is somebody in China that provides no real support and this one doesn't sound any better.) Drivers for mine are what was released with it for Win10 1511, and updates from MS have not always worked right.
  3. screen usability? I doesn't have to be 4K (mine is 800x1200) but does need to be sharp enough for regular use including watching the odd movie or other stream. I didn't see that discussed much in the article.
  4. comms? How stable is that wifi adapter? In my RCA, if I end up in a place where I can't connect to wifi, the adapter has be be reset before it will connect again even at home. Also, how well does the 4G work (if you had the 4G version)?
  5. resources? You noted in text that the base version had 1/2 the RAM and eMMC of the Pro, but the Pro (non-4G) is quoted at the same price as the base. Other than lack of 4G, what's the difference between the mid-grade Pro and the base?

I would point out that if you can get it out of S mode it's possible to run some normal software. Mine runs Libreoffice and VLC OK (is there a headphone jack to get around those tinny speakers?), and SumatraPDF is a good lightweight PDF/EPUB reader. I still have a problem with the 7" screen size, though - that's definitely tablet-only size. And a tablet with a bluetooth keyboard would probably work as well or better than something with a flaky USB plugin keyboard like mine and probably this one.

Anyway, thanks for bottom-fishing the Windows market.

Jul 17, 2020
This was a scam :( I backep up the project on indiegogo but they stopped sending updates since march. At first everyone thought it would pass after the corona situation in China, but they simply are not replying to questions from backers anymore.

Reactions: bhwong
Oct 12, 2020
This was a scam :( I backep up the project on indiegogo but they stopped sending updates since march. At first everyone thought it would pass after the corona situation in China, but they simply are not replying to questions from backers anymore.

I hope Nate Rand will help us by revealing the owner for us to get back our refund.

May 18, 2021
Does anyone have any update or any contact for Peakago?? I paid over $500+ back in 2019 with an expected delivery date of March, 2020, but of course that date has come and gone, and the manufacturer won't reply: https://screenshots.robincheung.ca/KoudPok6

e908a718-34b2-4012-b44d-83b83414aad6.png