Pentium 4 processor 533 FSB on motherboard 400 FSB?

Hi,
I just got an intel pentium 4 processor 2.4 Ghz 533 MHz FSB, but my
motherboard supports up to 400 MHz FSB. does anyone of you know if I can
plug it considering a downgrading of FSB to 400 MHz in the processor, or
just the system crashed?
Thank you

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"elmunyon" <elmunyon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I just got an intel pentium 4 processor 2.4 Ghz 533 MHz FSB, but my
> motherboard supports up to 400 MHz FSB. does anyone of you know if I can
> plug it considering a downgrading of FSB to 400 MHz in the processor, or
> just the system crashed?
> Thank you

It'll run, but at 1.8Ghz. You have no ability to modify FSB at all?

Thank you for your reply
How could I modify FSB? by the way, just curious, why would it run at 1.8
GHz?

"Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> escribió en el mensaje

> "elmunyon" <elmunyon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I just got an intel pentium 4 processor 2.4 Ghz 533 MHz FSB, but my
> > motherboard supports up to 400 MHz FSB. does anyone of you know if I can
> > plug it considering a downgrading of FSB to 400 MHz in the processor, or
> > just the system crashed?
> > Thank you
>
> It'll run, but at 1.8Ghz. You have no ability to modify FSB at all?

"elmunyon" wrote
'How could I modify FSB? by the way, just curious, why would it run at 1.8
GHz?'

If your motherboard isn't capable of 533 MHz, then the limitation is the
chipset, and not something that can be just set with switches or the BIOS.

The 533 MHz FSB, 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 would run at 1.8 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB
because the processor clock speed is determined by the (fixed, internal
multiplier) X (FSB/4). The 533 MHz FSB Pentium 4 2.4 GHz CPU has an
internal multiplier of 18; (18) X (400 MHz/4) = 1.8 GHz.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

> Thank you for your reply
> How could I modify FSB? by the way, just curious, why would it run at
> 1.8
> GHz?

Because the processor has a multiplier of 18.

18 x 100 = 1800MHz
18 x 133 = 2400MHz

...... give us a clue and tell us what your motherboard is - then some kind
soul might be able to tell you if altering the FSB is an option.

Pete

Thanks to all for your replies. My motherboard is an Asus P4B
Thank you again

> Thanks to all for your replies. My motherboard is an Asus P4B
> Thank you again

According to ASUS, you m/b is capable of running a 133FSB with a normal
33Mhz PCI and 66Mhz AGP bus speed. Jumper settings must be modified to do
so.
http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4b/jumper.htm

Thank you again, so Augustus I would be able tu run the processor at its 2.4
GHz ¿correct? but on the other hand the pci bus and the agp bus would
decrease, that would mean less performance, ¿correct?. so what would you
think is better, high performance cpu vs. less agp and pci buses or keeping
as I am now, with the buses at standard speed acording the actual
processor?.
Thank you

> Thank you again, so Augustus I would be able tu run the processor at its
> 2.4
> GHz ¿correct? but on the other hand the pci bus and the agp bus would
> decrease, that would mean less performance, ¿correct?. so what would you
> think is better, high performance cpu vs. less agp and pci buses or
> keeping
> as I am now, with the buses at standard speed acording the actual
> processor?.
> Thank you

They would not decrease. Correct stock speed for the PCI bus is 33Mhz, and
66 Mhgz for AGP. The jumper settings increase FSB without increasing or
decreasing PCI/AGP. It's the correct setting for a 533FSB P42.4a processor.

Thank you again for your reply.
So why Asus claimed for a 400 MHz FSB for the its motherboard P4B
if actually, as you say, it can run processor at higher FSB at least 533
FSB. ?

> Thank you again for your reply.
> So why Asus claimed for a 400 MHz FSB for the its motherboard
> P4B
> if actually, as you say, it can run processor at higher FSB at least 533
> FSB. ?

Most boards made by the big manufacturers have the ability to be configured
to run at different bus speeds. Intel and various proprietary models are
exceptions to this.Asus, ABit, Gigabyte, Chaintec, DFI etc are all very
tweakable by the owner.

Thanks a lot for all your answers (specially Augustus). I'll try with the
new processor then.