Question Periodic GPU usage spikes to 100%, stuterring and lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2021
For the past few weeks, my PC has been getting random spikes of extremely high CPU and GPU usage (not at the same time), both of which cause lag and a .5-2 second freeze of the whole PC. I don't recall installing any new software or making any updates, also ran a full scan with Kaspersky to find nothing dangerous. What could be the cause? Also, one of my GPU fans has been rattling a little lately, but I highly doubt that's correlated in any way, considering GPU temps have been normal (possibly a miner, raising the fan speeds?).

The "System" process will start using 100% of my GPU every ~30 seconds, and the 4 .NET Runtime Optimization Service processes will spike to using up to 100% CPU together.

task manager with processes during a GPU spike, with above average CPU usage:
aNAao.png

GPU usage in task manager:
doSkj.jpg

CPU usage in task manager:
b2Vio.jpg

Nov 15, 2021
i did, it's the genuine system process, so is the .NET one.

Something is wrong with windows, have you updated latest win10 drivers or done some changes lately? If you have latest Windows drivers, try to reinstall GPU drivers if you haven't. I googled this issue and its a weird issue and there is no 100% fix for everyone. One even got it solved by closing task manager.

Feb 17, 2021
Something is wrong with windows, have you updated latest win10 drivers or done some changes lately? If you have latest Windows drivers, try to reinstall GPU drivers if you haven't. I googled this issue and its a weird issue and there is no 100% fix for everyone. One even got it solved by closing task manager.
oh yeah lol, i came across the same guy who said closing task manager helped it, doesn't work for me though. could be windows updates, i use kmspico (because i can't really afford paying for windows) and updates are disabled automatically. i'll try updating my windows version manually and get back to you.

Feb 17, 2021
using kmspico and think you have no malware.
anyway you can run windows unactivated.
do a fresh os install to get rid of the malware
i got kmspico from a credible guy who's been doing pc work for my dad and me, literally been doing it for 30+ years. one of the most credible and honest dudes i know; he's got a usb he carries around everywhere with a windows installation and all of the basic programs you need, including kmspico. he's installed it on thousands of computers over the years and gotten literally zero complaints. if there's a way to get infected through kmspico after having it installed, sure, but the version i got was clean.
edit: also, this is the third pc he's installed windows on for me and the first time this has happened. also also, have had this pc for over a year now and the problem started only now. from a logistical standpoint it doesn't make sense to put any blame on kmspico.

Status
Not open for further replies.