wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I chose Athlon II x4 620 in my previous thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=268227&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
but then I looked around tomshardware and found out that I can unlock the other 2 cores from Phenom II x2 550 if I have a SB750 motherboard. Now I'm back to deciding which CPU to pick. Has anyone ever unlocked the other two cores? What's the success rate? And does a GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P work for unlocking the two cores?

Solution
Alot of people have been able to unlock the other two cores, then again alot havent been able to. Its really a toss up on whether or not you can unlock it. Some chips have damaged cores and thats why they're disabled and sold as X2 or X3 Phenom II's. I wouldn't buy the 550 and absolutely expect to get a quad out of it because its probably about 50/50 chance that you'll be able to successfully unlock it.

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Alot of people have been able to unlock the other two cores, then again alot havent been able to. Its really a toss up on whether or not you can unlock it. Some chips have damaged cores and thats why they're disabled and sold as X2 or X3 Phenom II's. I wouldn't buy the 550 and absolutely expect to get a quad out of it because its probably about 50/50 chance that you'll be able to successfully unlock it.

Solution
G

"I didn't like the colour"?