Phenom ii x4 960t temperatures.

celticsfan011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I just started up my build yesterday, got the computer up and running.

But i feel uneasy about the temperature. All i have open are two main things. Google Chrome and Minecraft and i'm getting a temp reading of 60-70 Degrees Celsius.

I havn't done any overclocking that i know of. But when i go on the ASRock Extreme Tuning program that came with the MOBO, it sais that my CPU is know a Phenom ii 6050 BE, 6 cores, i havnt done anything biut i guess thats a good thing.

As soon as i close Minecraft, it goes down to 38-40 celsius.

It's on stock cooling.

Is that 60 celsius really bad for the cpu? I am planning on getting a Hyper 212 or TX3 in a month or two.

celticsfan011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Do you know any programs that can give me an accurate reading of my CPU temps, i just want a second temp reading, just to make sure.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Core Temp, Real Temp, SpeedFan, Hardware Monitor, Hardware Blackbox, and probably still more yet. I use Core Temp as you can see the temp in the bottom right corner. Real Temp does the same but doesn't report the CPU usage or clock (Core Temp reports the wrong clock for me). The others force you to have to check the window every now and then making them of little helpfulness when running fullscreen programs (like games or videos).

celticsfan011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

I tried Core Temp but it doesn't give me the temp, it just stays at 0, and i know it's not 0...lol

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
There are 4 other available. RealTemp also displays the temps near the clock. If that doesn't work, you'll need to reference the window while doing CPU-intensive activities. This means you can't run full screen programs like games. I don't know much about Prime95, but if that runs in windowed rather than full screen, this would be the perfect test setup and you can use pretty much any of the 5 programs. If they all return 0, however, either your CPU is too new for those programs, you have a setting in the BIOS that's blocking access to the temp data, or you don't have a temperature sensor. The latter doesn't apply, so it's one of the former 2 cases.

celticsfan011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

I think i should be find, i am going to get a Hyper TX3 new month, and it's winter so the room temp is pretty cool, my temps went down it's idling a about 33 Celsius right now.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
G

OK, So I'm not 100% on this, but if I remember right the 960T is basically a Thuban with 2 cores disabled (would make financial sense for AMD to re-brand some 1055's/1090's/1100's in case they had a flaw but still functioned fine as quad cores.) If that's the case (which I am thinking it is) then you can hit about 60 C when overclocking and call that stable. Technically speaking it can take up to 90 C, but at that point the adhesives that were used to produce the chip itself can degrade pretty badly. There was in interesting article about it.

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=12&threadid=153804&enterthread=y

celticsfan011

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

Yeah, i thought about getting a better cooler but i think that the TX3 is enough since i will only be overclocking to 3.4 - 3.6 GHz, i dont wanna go over 3.6 and from the reviews, the TX3 can keep a cpu cool with that type of overclocking.

nattehx

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012

i see problem....same to you
... this program can display CPU temperature... i had test it... it can use..
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/

melvinstr

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
I have downloaded all of them and amd's own delivered program says my cpu is 36 degrees. So does blackbox . Speedfan says its 48, open hardware monitor says is 48. and on my motherboard its 48. Which one is correct?

Got it overclocked with multiplier to 3,8 Ghz right now AMD 960t

masmotors

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
i have same cpu at 4.0 and i idle at 38c and core 24c and 22c i usinf cpuid hwmonitor also using antec kuler 620 h20 with ic dimond compound and i am also looking for info i just got this and want to know if my temps are good or ?

mr1hm

Distinguished
Hey guys,

OP, I believe the reason you may be seeing a 0 degree Celsius reading on Core Temp could be related to overclocking or unlocking the disabled cores of the Phenom II X4 960T. The Extreme Tuning program you mentioned might have just turned on automatically while you were running something CPU intensive and unlocked those 2 extra cores or overclocked it.

I actually just picked up the same exact CPU in hopes of unlocking 2 extra stable cores; and behold, it happened. But, I'm also running the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with 2 fans which give it a "push-pull," effect.
I highly recommend you get the hyper 212+ or something similar because they only run about 29.99 :) But, be warned, it does not come with the 2nd fan needed for the "push-pull," effect. I saw some reviews on this and some say that it's not that great but, it's always going to differ IMO.

I don't like temps above 60C for this CPU, but if you're going to be using it stock I don't see any reason 60-65C should be ok but, anything higher could cause some instability because I think the max temperature for this CPU is 71C. If someone could confirm this that would be awesome.

I use HWMonitor to get a rough estimate of what my actual CPU temps are at. I would normally use core temp but, the 2 unlocked cores doesn't allow readings on temps.

Get a aftermarket cooler, release the possible potential this beast of a CPU can offer :)

If your able to unlock those 2 cores, CPU-z should read them as AMD Phenom II X6 1600T (overclocked) or AMD Phenom II X6 1605T (stock speed).

Heres a reference: http://www.overclock.net/t/1189945/amd-zosma-960t-1600t-1605t-cpu-club/1100

EDIT: If your CPU is really hitting the 60-65C temps, make sure you install a aftermarket CPU cooler before. Unlocking 2 cores might require more voltage which would increase your temperatures even more.