Phenom II X6 1100T plus WHICH Memory?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I've used patriot ram and currently use one of their ssd's. If the vender will allow you to exchange it, then I would try it. Remember my recommendation to use two sticks if four won't boot up, and change the memory mapping setting to "enabled".

corniger

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Corsair's reply: "CMP16GX3M4A1333C9 is a fully matched kit and also compatible with your system. "

OK, what now: Corsair or Patriot? :) I was advised to take Corsair.... tough they don't post this kit on their own list. Either they're all ioncompetent or they wanna sell something :p

Don't get Patriot; frequent visitors here...

I got tied up. I would send a Ticket to Corsair and Kingston and copy/paste ALL of the available 16GB >= 1600 MHz, and ask them which will work. While I'm comfortable that most will I won't guess for you. Most memory errors e.g. BSOD is mostly incorrect BIOS settings and voltages. However, I'm very clear the 4GB sticks are VERY touchy and ESPECIALLY touchy in 16GB configurations.

Corsair Ticket* -> http://www.corsair.com/support/technicalsupport
G.SKILL Ticket -> techsupport@gskill.com

*You can input your MOBO or choose not listed and put in th first RAM and use the comments to fill-in the rest.

No, there's no RAM on that limited list that I can 100% guarantee so the ticket is your best choice.

corniger

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
The support guy at Corsair said they should work, although I mentioned the problems due to Intel configuration. He said they are compatible, though they sport some Intel-specific feature. I guess I'll have to see :(

That's the XMP info on the sticks and means nothing. Even on a full XMP compatible stick/MOBO I often don't use the feature, it's not needed and too often in 4 or 6 stick configuration won't work anyway. Meaning if Corsair says they'll work I would trust that they indeed will work.

If there's a problem the #1 thing I would do is set the DRAM Voltages per spec -> failure increase +0.1~0.2v. High density RAM requires additional voltages +50% of the time.

corniger

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I would set the Rams up exactly the way their description says. Problem is if there are 20 more parameters like on the Abit board I recently looked at in BIOS to see if CL is set correctly. 4-4-4-18 or so but 5 times the parameters XD That's where I crap out, definitely.

Typically, it's not that much to set and shouldn't take for than a few minutes to fully set-up. The only 'what ifs' are the Voltages and then only a +0.1~0.2v variances.

e.g. AI OC Tuner
DRAM Frequency
DRAM Voltage
QPI/DRAM Voltage {IMC Controller}
CAS Timings e.g. 9-9-9-24-2T

corniger

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
In case I encounter weirdness, I'll scream aloud :) But I swear, that Abit board must have been atypical, or I simply don't know anything :p
When the stuff arrives, I'll be back!!

Thanks a LOT!

corniger

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
RAm worked like a breeze. Absolutely no complications. I'll come back on the timings though, as the specs are not obvious to me in the BIOS - AT ALL *lol*

corniger

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Corsair CMP16GX3M4A1333C9, as mentioned before. Not listed on their own site, but recommemded by their support :p

Now what the hell: CL 9-9-9-24

My board gives me the following settings:

CAS# latency 8
RAS# to CAS# delay 8
RAS# PRE time 8
RAS# ACT time 20
READ to PRE time 4
RAW cyclee time 27
WRITE recovery time 8
RAS# to RAS# delay 4
READ to WRITE delay 7
WRITE to READ delay (DD) 2
WRITE to READ delay (SD) 4
WRITE to WRITE time 3
READ to READ time 3
REF cycle time 160
Refresh rate 7,8
Command Rate 15

Then there's a whole driving config section

plus

CFU/LDT spread spectrum
SATA spread spectrum

I understand there are people who learn doing this, and I am none of them. But still... what does any of this have to do with 9-9-9-24 :cry:
I also haven't found any understandable explanation for the above terms, as the terms used in the BIOS seem all different.
The thing is running, running fine, but the RAM is obviously not properly configured, and it's running at 1033 Mhz only, I don't know if this is right, the CPU should have 1333? :ange:

cristi_szd

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
1333MHz is the default speed of AM3 chips, anything higher than that has to be clocked or forced into system to run that fast.
summary: if wanting speeds greater than 1333MHz then you will have to overclock and also buy 1600MHz or faster RAM.
Hello guys!
First of all, please accept apologies for my bad english.
Sorry to intervene, but I have quite the similar problems/questions as Corniger, with the difference being that I don't think I understand that good all these technical explanations.
Long story short: I'm looking for an 1100T on ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and 16GB of memory @ 1600MHz (9-9-9-27; if it's of any help).
But before I buy anything it would be nice to find out any issues regarding compatibility.
So given the fact that I don't know much about this, I can only presume that this memory will run at 1333MHz with the CPU at stock speed, but it might run faster if I overclock the CPU? Have I got it right? If I'm saying ridiculously stupid things here, please be sympathetic with me, being new in this world.
So let's, say that I bring the CPU to 4GHz (I've read it's fairly possible and stable) will I benefit from the 1600MHz memory then?
And how can I find out what speed will the memory work at then?
Again I'm sorry for my rough english, and for any questions beyond the reasonable limit of stupidity.
Thanks!

corniger

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Hey Cristi!

I personally also don't really have much of a clue, but why do you explicitly want to run your memory at 1666? Do you want to overclock the CPU anyway? It sounds like you want to overclock just so you can run your memory at 1666Mhz!

I think in this thread I also have written down the ONLY memory configuration that seems to work well. I have searched a long time. If you check my other threads around the 1100T you'll stumble upon the hurdles I had to take to finally get a system that would fit not only hardware-wise, but also concerning space inside the case! Don't trust the specs!

cristi_szd

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Thank you for your reply, Corniger

There are more than one reason for me to want this memory speed.
Probably the first it will be the same reason why people choose 1333MHz instead of 1066Mhz, or 1066MHz instead of 800 MHz and so on. Because it's faster.
Then, looking around for prices I found the 1600MHz cheaper than the 1333MHz one (same amount and same brand). So cheaper and faster.
And then, I can't afford to do upgrades every other few months, so I'm trying to get a fairly good system now and leave it as it is for a while. I mean I'm pretty sure that in the next few months every useless, dirt cheap motherboard and most likely the next Phenom (or the one after that), will support 1600MHz as stock speed and not as OC. So, even if it's not quite correct, let's say I'm trying to be a little futureproof.
Now, concerning the processor I do not intend to OC it just now if not necessarily, but in the near future obviously software will be even more demanding and resources hungry and then I might get a bit more life out of this CPU by OC it instead doing an upgrade. Why not, since it's Black Edition and it has the capabilities? And of course the next upgrade will be MOBO+CPU+Memory altogether because of AMD's next generation of CPUs (Bulldozer?) that will come in a different socket.
Regarding the actual space inside the case, I'm sure I'll be all right. The case is a Master Cooler Elite 430 and will accommodate a 850W PSU and my Saphire HD 5770 without any problems.
Still the question remains the same: will I have a faster system buying 1600MHz memory , or I am just trying to do the impossible? Or even better: why is 1600MHz memory produced and sold if is not really (or officially) supported? Who wants it, then?
Thank you for your time.

kakanutto

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
The motherboard support up to 2000Mhz but to reach 1600Mhz you need to OC the 200Mhz Bus of the Phenom II up to 240. That CPU can support even 300Hz with good watercooling, but 240Mhz can be achive even with stock cooler easy as long as you don´t pass 65ºC on CPU exausting test (OCCT 3.0). The best choice is to buy 1333Mhz memory and forget about CPU OC, since there is not necessary since here you don´t have problems like in games (reach 60fps and aboid bottleneck with GPU)...
Also you can buy 4x4GB 1600Mhz and downclock up to 1333Mhz and race the latency let say from 9-9-9-24 to 7-7-7-20. Buy ask someone else how to achive that depending on the memory you choose (just read memory tweak with that specific model you buy). 16GB memory is cheap to buy, and seem you need it, there is no waste of money at all :)...Also you don´t need special memorys, OC memorys is for people that have the need when they OC the CPU to 4+Ghz and latency and frecuency help with the stability, and also to handle the extra speed the CPU will demand from memory bus..
Well hope i help somebody with this replay ;)