Phenom II X6: First Details Of ‘Thuban’ Design Emerge

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Excellent! a cheap, fast alternative to Intel's high-priced speedy counterparts!
AMD is VERY good at providing a excellent performance/cost ratio, makes it more accessible to us AMD users to enjoy fast Video Editing times, producing and even 3D rendering oh and umm games. :D

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]I wouldn't be surprised if AMD's first Thuban X4s with Hot and Loud end up being X6s with 1-2 bad cores. This has been AMD's pattern in the past.[/citation]

sounds like fermi

All manufacturers want to get the most out of the process.

Some silicon has defects in the cache - hence models like the Celeron / Pentium / Duron / Athlon (new) and so on.

Some silicon won't run at higher frequencies ... hence the lower model numbers running at lower speeds (locked).

I think there is also a case that some manufacturing processes mature to the point (Tock) where higher Steppings produce much more viable high end silicon which they have to deliberately laser off cache and lock at a lower speed ... just to target the sales are particular price points.

You will never really know as the topic is taboo for Intel / AMD / NVidia etc ...

But given how many X3's unlock, and how high both Intel and AMD cpu's overclock ... well you make up your own mind.

Lower end parts also sell in greater volume ...

My old E5300 runs at 4Ghz with a push ... its supposed to run at 2.6 ... it has a 2Mb Cache while big brother Wolfies have 6Mb cache.

Who is to say it wasn't a 6Mb Wolfy to start with .. and didn't get neutered for no reason?

Poor little fella.

:)

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I feel for your "neutered" chip, reynod. :p

Well, now I feel bad about buying my 930. :(

It will be really interesting to see how this performs. The Hot n' loud seems like a really great idea. Intel's turbo boost can speed up a single core, two cores, or all three from what I understand. Can Turbo CORE speed up a single core and remain in TDP? That would be really nice for single-threaded apps...

But speed up three, slow down three is a really novel idea. It's definitely functional (on paper, at least), but it really goes to show that sometimes less cores and more speed on those cores are better. Like the intel Core 2 Duos vs Quads. The duos performed better in games and singlethreaded apps because they had a faster core vs more cores.

Can't wait to see benchies!

...And I hope this doesn't turn out to be another Thermi. :(

masik kaluchka

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
what takes you so long to run a test? .... I have seen the CPU on the shelves for a week at Frys in atlanta ... try to use Windows 7 64 and or Linux 64 .... don't run and use Windows XP for your tests to make Intel look good with its compiler ..... try a real test like crunching a Blue ray disk and make an avi file at 1080p ... or get one of those 30mb jpg's
from the back of a Hasseblad 60MB sensor and apply changes .....
or run a game with full effects at maximum resolution .... now that's a test...

hrmchan

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
Does anyone have a link to Comparison Charts for Thuban vs the older AMD Phenom X4 920,955, and 965.

I interested in seeing how much performance has scaled upwards with design changes

rodnav

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
the AMD Phenom II x6 1090T is now available here in the Philippines and it's being sold for 7500 philippine pesos or around 170 usd... i already placed my order at my favorite pc retailer.. hehe

G

I wish these systems came with a turbo button on the front of the CASE like my old 286 did! 8 mxz normal 12 mhz turbo!

Status
Not open for further replies.