Phoenix BIOS Boots in 1 Second, Loads Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Seems like the bios is booting devices in parallel instead of in series, and also might make use of faster flash memory.

G

They'll need to include a set of turnkeys unique to each individual motherboard to allow administrators to get into the system BIOS while at the same time keeping everybody else out. I button would be too simple.

Honey, Where'd I leave my Keys?

NOOoo, I did not want the car keys, I wanted the keys to my computer!!!

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]I hope they mark up the price an extra $100 for this special feature. F2, F2, F2.... damn it, missed it again! Reboot... F2, F2, F2... #@$![/citation]
Wrong Quote, ROFLMAO inteded here.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
While instant-on OSes on a chip like Splashtop are nifty, getting rid of the BIOS for a faster boot would be nice. Of course this means giving up the ability to set the CHS values for your 10MB MFM and RLL drives.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
You guys need to learn to read they said the pc takes ll seconds to boot most new pc's ie i7 with new fast sata 600 or raid will boot that fast this is nothing special.
My vista 64bit on sata2 loads that fast.
1 sec for bios and 10 for win7.

mcbowler

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Has anyone heard of Suspend to Ram ? STR? S3 ?

Mine works well. I never need to reboot. Still is a good idea. Microsoft should make a hardware OS that doesn't need to load.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]mcbowler[/nom]Has anyone heard of Suspend to Ram ? STR? S3 ?Mine works well. I never need to reboot. Still is a good idea. Microsoft should make a hardware OS that doesn't need to load.[/citation]

That existed it was called the commodore vic20 as soon as switched it on basic as running instantly.

Asrock has the time beat on this article they claim 4 seconds to boot from cold to windows.

www.asrock.com

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
"Microsoft should make a hardware OS that doesn't need to load." I think that's definatly the way to go. Like a PCI Express OS or a OS chipset. The benefit in THEORY would be that you could have a faster OS however given the fact that piracy also exists in hardware and/or could be cloned such as bios was done in the 80s it probably wouldn't be worth it. Also you have SSD's which are pretty fast. But you would gain performance from a pure hardware standpoint.

G

10 seconds until an available OS huh? We're not quite back at the mid-80s level of snappiness then but we're getting closer.

msdss

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Very nice.However, my xbox 360 'boots up' in 9 seconds (I didn't really count but it feels like not more than 9).[/citation]

SWEET DUDE, YOU ARE RIGHT, THATS TOTALLY SWEET COMPARISON!!!
Going to sell my laptop now to buy a THREE SIXTY!

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Damn, that's sweet! I can't wait to get Vista the hell off my laptop. Between Vista (and all the crap HP preloaded into it) and TrueCrypt, my boot times are in the range of several minutes. That sucks. :(

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Hardware based OS is quickly becoming a reality with this and SSD's. I would like some sort of dedicated on-board flash for the OS with dedicated hardware traps to prevent OS files from being tampered with without direction intervention from the user. Though the more I think about it the more it sounds like a bad idea... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.