[SOLVED] Phone line and Ethernet connection

Jan 9, 2022
I have a question about phone line/ethernet connection. I am trying to get an ethernet connection to my room to play games and have the fastest connection with my pc. I have 2 phone line cables in my room, one should work and has the box with the port and the other one has a phone line and a coax cable but both cords are cut in this one. I was doing some research and saw that there are adapters and some say it works some say it doesn't What I'm trying to do is get an adapter to be able to connect an ethernet cord to the phone line port and I'm wondering if I will be able to get ethernet to my pc from this.

Also, around how much should it be to pay someone to come and install an ethernet port in my room. My router is pretty much right under my room, maybe a room over.

Last edited:
Solution
It depends on the wire itself and how it is run. If there are 4 pairs of wires in the cable it might work. The old style phone wire was 4 simple wires many times yellow,black,red,green and that won't work. The second condition is the wires must run directly between the 2 location. Many times phone wire is daisy chained though many room with splices which makes it extremely hard to so. If you got lucky and can get past these issues you can just replace the jacks on each end with ethernet jacks.

If you have coax cable in both rooms it might be easier to use MoCA. Moca can run full gigabit speeds on the newer technology.
Jan 9, 2022
no they are not the same type of cable. an adapter might change the way the end of the wire looks but it won't add what is missing to make it a true ethernet connection between the rooms.

you need to run a cable from point a to b to have such a connection.
In this list on amazon it shows the laptop being connected from what seems to be what I'm trying to do. Is this just fake or a lie?

In this list on amazon it shows the laptop being connected from what seems to be what I'm trying to do. Is this just fake or a lie?
Did you read the description of the adapter?
It is meant to connect analog devices via ethernet cable.
It is not meant for connecting ethernet devices via phone line.
Photo with laptop is confusing. The laptop probably has a dial-up modem inside.

Use powerline ethernet adapters instead.
Probably connecting via WiFi also is an option.

Last edited:
Reactions: YasinBadaway
Jan 9, 2022
Did you read the description of the adapter?
It is meant to connect analog devices via ethernet cable.
It is not meant for connecting ethernet devices via phone line.
Photo with laptop is confusing. The laptop probably has a dial-up modem inside.

Use powerline ethernet adapters instead.
Alright, thanks!

It depends on the wire itself and how it is run. If there are 4 pairs of wires in the cable it might work. The old style phone wire was 4 simple wires many times yellow,black,red,green and that won't work. The second condition is the wires must run directly between the 2 location. Many times phone wire is daisy chained though many room with splices which makes it extremely hard to so. If you got lucky and can get past these issues you can just replace the jacks on each end with ethernet jacks.

If you have coax cable in both rooms it might be easier to use MoCA. Moca can run full gigabit speeds on the newer technology.

Solution