Phoneline Network / ADSL HELP!

G

Here's the prob: I got two of those phoneline network cards (Netgear 301's I think) and for some god awful reason they wont work. They actually worked on 2 separate occasions, and then only for about 10 minutes a piece. I've tried everything. regular phone line (voice) is fine, 56k dial up is fine (although it disconnects a lot :) the cards are fine (connected directly to each other) Tech support said everything was setup right. When they DID work, I pinged each system fine. It's just odd that at 2 distinct times they worked, then never again... any ideas?

Related issue (perhaps) just set up a ADSL modem (reason for networking the 2 comps) and the damn thing keeps disconnecting on me after like 2 minutes. I got 3 solid green lights (ie everything is hooked up right)...

could these problems be due to the internal wiring of my house?? It is pretty damn old, but still works ok... I dunno, I'm out of ideas.

G

could be the lines are too noisy. Your dsl modem should display the current line noise (or at least the signal strength wich could identify any line noise problems). The phone co. can probably also tell you if there's line noise between your modem and them. Could be there's a loose connection in the wiring somewhere or there's a power supply (or power line) interfering with the signal somewhere in the house. You mentioned that your dial up connection used to disconnect a lot too... that's an idication of noise as well...

It could also possibly be a rogue device on the phone line (a cordless phone, an answering machine, etc..) that's giving off weird signals (maybe it's not to spec, or it's old/buggy) that can interfere with networking... Try removing all phone devices and networking again...

Do those phoneline cards work with DSL? Hopefully their signals are different from each other and don't use the same frequency range...

G

Thanks, I have to check and see if the DSL modem can tell me the signal strength, or amount of noise. I'll also check out the cordless phones and power lines in the house. Hopefully TelCo will be able to figure this out remotely, however I think it's probably going to come down to having a technician come in and check it out, cuz I don't know all that much about electrical/phone wiring :(

As for the phoneline cards, they are NetGear, and my NIC card is Netgear also, so I couldn't imagine a problem there, especially since I tried the phoneline cards before even installing the NIC card and the external DSL. Also, on the box for the phoneline cards, one of it's suggested uses is sharing a DSL or Cable modem connection! Oh well...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know how it goes.