Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
I made a similar thread earlier and I thought the issue was fixed by reinstalling photoshop to another drive, but after 3 hours of working on a project the issue happened again, all of a sudden out of nowhere my whole system just started lagging extremely to the point where it took about a minute for the Windows start menu to pop up, I couldn't even move my mouse around smoothly. When I went into task manager it said that "System Interrupts" is using 40% of my cpu, my ram had a lot of headroom available. This ONLY happens when im doing stuff on photoshop, I can work in blender and play any game as well as run VR for hours and I get no issues whatsoever. When I manage to restart my pc everything works perfectly fine untill i launch photoshop, when i launch photoshop as long as it's open my system will start lagging a lot anywhere between 15 minutes of having it open to a couple hours.

I tried reinstalling photoshop, disabling gpu acceleration in photoshop settings, updating chipset drivers, re-installing gpu drivers (also since then new gpu drivers were released but updating to that didnt help either) and doing a clean install of adobe creative cloud along with the programs.
Also I updated my photoshop to the 2021 version but that didnt change anything. I've been using photoshop for 3 years and never had anything like this happen.

I am completely lost as to why this is happening, and why it's ONLY photoshop causing it.

Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
GPU: MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
RAM: Corsair RGB Pro 4x8GB @3200MHz
MOBO: Asus X570 ROG Crosshair Ⅷ Hero
PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ

Solution
Task Scheduler may provide a clue.

Look for some trigger involving PhotoShop.

Without launching Photoshop use the Actions column to display all running tasks.

Set up the window so you can, when ready, launch Photoshop and keep watching. Determine if the Photoshop launch triggers some other launching that, in turn, leads to the noted problems.

All-in-all poke around Task Scheduler some....

And it may be a bit easier to do much the same via Powershell.

"Get-ScheduledTask"

"Get-ScheduledTask -TaskPath "*" | Get-ScheduledTaskInfo"

Again do the "Get" before and after launching Photoshop

Just for the record, full disclosure, I am very much just learning Powershell. However, using Gets can certainly help delve into the underlying...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you using a 100% legit version (registered/activated/updated) of Photoshop? Have you scanned this system for malware recently?

Also, when PS is running, have you looked at Task Manager to see what is consuming CPU resources? Anything out of place showing up?

Reactions: Flame1

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Are you using a 100% legit version (registered/activated/updated) of Photoshop? Have you scanned this system for malware recently?

Also, when PS is running, have you looked at Task Manager to see what is consuming CPU resources? Anything out of place showing up?
Yes Im using a 100% legit version provided by my university, fully up to date (the creative cloud app automatically updates the programs for me). I've scanned my pc for malware with malwarebytes but it didn't detect anything. The task manager showed 40% cpu usage from a process called "system interrupts" when I managed to take a look at the task manger while the system was lagging.

Last edited:

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Is this system using a wired or wireless network connection? What does your network utilization look like when performance bogs down?
I am using wired connection, I'm not sure about the network utilization while the system is doing that weird thing but the next time it happens i'll make sure to take note of it.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
Is this system using a wired or wireless network connection? What does your network utilization look like when performance bogs down?
Hey, so I updated my windows to version 20H2 and used photoshop a few times, for hours at a time and the issue seemed to be gone, however a few minutes ago it happened again about 3 minutes after I opened up a new project. I opened up my task manager as soon as I noticed the system slowing down and the first thing I noticed is system interrupts using 48% of my cpu, after like 2 seconds system interrupts went back to using just 0.1% of my cpu however my pc remained painfully slow and every second it was getting even slower, I have however managed to capture a screenshot of the network usage in my task manager.
Here it is View: https://imgur.com/a/wzGNQxW

Side note: I was screensharing a friend on discord while it happened, however I did close the screenshare before taking the screenshot.

Last edited:

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
How much virtual memory do you have allocated and on what storage devices are your using for it (HDD or SSD)?
I have 21gb ram allocated for photoshop (just checked the performance settings in photoshop preferences and thats what it said). I currently have it installed on a Corsair MP510 nvme ssd however originally when the issue started occurring I had it installed on a Samsung 970 Evo Plus . One of the first things I did in an attempt to fix this issue was doing a clean install on a different drive (I deleted all of the adobe folders on my pc before installing creative cloud and photoshop again) however that did not change anything at all. Both drives have over 100gb of unused space.

Ralston18

Titan
Task Scheduler may provide a clue.

Look for some trigger involving PhotoShop.

Without launching Photoshop use the Actions column to display all running tasks.

Set up the window so you can, when ready, launch Photoshop and keep watching. Determine if the Photoshop launch triggers some other launching that, in turn, leads to the noted problems.

All-in-all poke around Task Scheduler some....

And it may be a bit easier to do much the same via Powershell.

"Get-ScheduledTask"

"Get-ScheduledTask -TaskPath "*" | Get-ScheduledTaskInfo"

Again do the "Get" before and after launching Photoshop

Just for the record, full disclosure, I am very much just learning Powershell. However, using Gets can certainly help delve into the underlying configuration of any given PC. Does get messy sometimes but lots of information to be found.

Reactions: Flame1
Solution