[SOLVED] Physically moving my PS4 controller causes CPU spikes

hammerdust

Reputable
Jan 17, 2019
This is very odd to me and I can't think of any explanation for this, but if my PS4 controller isn't still, the Windows Audio service will spike my CPU usage and cause stuttering while trying to play Rocket League. I've also noticed that alongside Windows Audio, the Rig 500 Audio Panel (program for my Rig 500 headset) spikes in CPU usage as well. As soon as I stop holding/moving my controller and place it on a surface, both Windows Audio and the Rig 500 Audio Panel will drop back to normal CPU usage. The CPU spikes will still occur even if I'm not in game.

I've tried disabling both the playback and recording devices from the controller and this did not fix it.

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Alright, I see no reason here that the controller should spike the CPU or cause other software, especially audio software, to spike the CPU. So, try this, plug in the controller and go to the device manager. If you don't know where it is then just type it into the search, it will come up. Somewhere on the list of devices will be one for the Playstation Controller. Once you find the controller, double click it. Go to the Driver Tab and click uninstall driver. Once it is done unplug the controller, then plug it back in. It should go out to the internet and install the most current driver. See if that fixes the issue. If not, we can try the same thing for your audio drivers.
The PS4 controller is a 6 axis controller, meaning that it is collecting and transmitting motion data from the actual movement of the controller even if you aren't pressing anything. So, holding the controller is causing an input as it is tracking motion. I'm not sure why it is spiking the CPU though unless the PS4 Controller drivers are just crap.

As for your headset control program, I have absolutely no idea what is going on there unless it is using the CPU to calculate noise cancellation. Usually that is a hardware function, but offloading it to software might save money on the design and build of the headset. You might want to look into that.

hammerdust

Reputable
Jan 17, 2019

To clarify, the CPU spikes from my headset control program is also caused by movement of my controller. With my controller still or not plugged in, I don't experience any abnormal CPU spikes.

Both the headset program and the Windows Audio service are 'audio' related, but I can't think of a reason as to how this would link to the motion tracking of my controller.

That is some convoluted... stuff.

Aside from some sort of harmonic interference (which I find unlikely) I've got nothing for that. There shouldn't be any shared resources between the two. Unless there is a driver conflict of some kind. I'm going to need some more context on this one. How are the controller and headset connected? Is the controller using a USB cable or Bluetooth? Is the headset USB or 3.5mm? Are you plugging them into the same USB controller? Are the connections physically close to each other? Your PC, is it a desktop or laptop? Is it possible to get system specifications from you or the model number?

Thanks!

hammerdust

Reputable
Jan 17, 2019
[/quotemsg]
How are the controller and headset connected? Is the controller using a USB cable or Bluetooth? Is the headset USB or 3.5mm? Are you plugging them into the same USB controller? Are the connections physically close to each other? Your PC, is it a desktop or laptop? Is it possible to get system specifications from you or the model number?

Thanks![/quotemsg] *sorry about this fail quote not sure how to correctly do this*

They are both plugged into the two front panel USB ports on my desktop PC, however switching one or the other to a rear USB port does not help at all. Unplugging my headset completely and moving my controller will still cause the Rig 500 Audio Panel to spike in CPU usage.

I now notice that all of the following programs/services spike my CPU use when moving the controller: Windows Audio, Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, Rig 500 Audio Panel, Realtek HD Audio Manager, and Discord (all audio related).

Here are my specs via Speccy. If any potentially important specs are left out let me know:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz (Haswell 22nm Technology)
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B85M-D3H (SOCKET 0)
Graphics: HP 2210 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (MSI)
ForceWare version: 417.71
SLI Disabled
Storage: 465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD))
Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
Audio: NVIDIA High Definition Audio

Alright, I see no reason here that the controller should spike the CPU or cause other software, especially audio software, to spike the CPU. So, try this, plug in the controller and go to the device manager. If you don't know where it is then just type it into the search, it will come up. Somewhere on the list of devices will be one for the Playstation Controller. Once you find the controller, double click it. Go to the Driver Tab and click uninstall driver. Once it is done unplug the controller, then plug it back in. It should go out to the internet and install the most current driver. See if that fixes the issue. If not, we can try the same thing for your audio drivers.

Solution

hammerdust

Reputable
Jan 17, 2019

Directing me to device manager made me see the problem, my controller was being detected as a "USB Audio Device" for some reason, and disabling it made the CPU spikes go away. Rocket League still detects the controller though and I can play without any issues. Thanks for the help!